Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I choose my ammo based on the track record it has "on the street" in police shooters

I choose mine based on its reliability in the specific firearm it is going in. Not the brand/model of the firearm, the actual firearm itself. Only after shooting lots and determining which ammos are 100% reliable (that takes 100's of rounds of each, not just a few) do I start looking at other factors.

I thought that part was a given. I never settle on a round for CCW until I've tested it thoroughly in my particular sidearm. My general standard for a self loader is 200 rounds without a problem. Bear in mind this is with a gun that's already proven reliable. I'll run 300-500 rounds of ball first because if it won't even run ball there's no point trying anything else. So once I have ten or so 50 round boxes through a pistol I'll switch to self defense ammo. 200 rounds of that and I am satisfied that it's going to work right and it's cleared for CCW duty.

With my HKs my regimen is slightly different. All of my HKs have proven so reliable over the years that I will run just 100 rounds through them with a given ammo.

I'm also a believer in training and practicing with carry ammo, at least a little bit. While I can't afford to do all my practice shooting with Federal HST I do think it's important to run a mag of them through my CCW sidearm every other range trip. My preference is to do that right before I pack up to go home.

One thing I love about the HST is that the round seems to run great through every gun I've ever tried.