Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I also noticed that UCO Stormproof matches in the small vial have a nifty little ferro rod, but no mention of a striker. I could assume that one is meant to use their knife. But what if it's lost or is stainless steel?

I haven't seen a ferro rod / UCO matches bundle, but with respect to the second part of your question ferro rods do not require a carbon blade, all they require is a sharp edge. I use the spine of my stainless knife all the time (I modified my sheath to carry the ferro rod & don't even bring a striker). It is flint & steel that requires a carbon blade I believe.

My understanding of this is that the material in the ferro rod is softer than steel so you are scraping material off of the rod. With flint & steel, you need carbon but this is because the flint is harder than the steel and in that case you are actually scraping the material off of the blade, not the flint.