Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271297 - 08/17/14 06:57 AM seal crimps on blanks?
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
and ideas?..i was going to use nail polish or rub the crimp on a block of wax to fill in that tiny hole at the tip of the blank round.

#271300 - 08/17/14 12:55 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm not a reloader, but I understand a touch of varnish is usually used.

#271306 - 08/17/14 05:19 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I usually try to keep seals from my blanks. Sea lions, too.

#271311 - 08/17/14 09:08 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You don't want anything to seep inside the case and contaminate the powder (in the case of blanks, there may not be any powder - it depends). But the same things goes for the primers - they can get contaminated too. Then your blanks will have a new name. "Duds". I would just store them in a sealer waterproof container (Pelican box or something) if you have need for reliably operating blanks in a wet environment.

#271312 - 08/17/14 10:18 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

haertig..i plan to have the first two rounds in my pistol as blanks.the company i got them from said expect a major muzzle blast.the next four will be bear loads.
i have never had a problem bear in all my years canoe tripping but rather than bang pots and pans together,a normal anti bear method,i thought a good loud BANG would do the job.
i should mention i would never shoot a black bear unless it had me by the foot dragging me out of the tent or something.
the use of blanks came to me after meeting a bear guide on the last canoe trip.he said a shot bear will run from the sound of the gun and drop dead,he hopes,in a hundred yards.a bear darted with a arrow won't run but will stand around the area until it drops.
also a lady who was the last person to live in the canoe park years ago kept a lever action 30 30 handy and said a shot in the air would chase it away from her supply shed.her take on the subject was that bears live in the quiet of the woods and a blast from a gun is too much for them.

#271317 - 08/18/14 04:01 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I hope your handgun is something like a .454 Casull, .460 S&W or .500 S&W. Bears don't go down easily, even the little black ones. Noise may not work either.

Here's a report of a bear near where I live, and what it took to stop it. Mind you, this was a 120lb bear. My dog weighs 145lbs (and looks kind of like a bear too!)

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12927288

The synopsis:
Quote:
It took three rounds from a shotgun, five bullets from a handgun and two shots from a rifle to kill a 120-pound, juvenile male black bear that broke into a Boulder County home early Monday.

With the shotgun:
Quote:
"As soon as I moved to try and make a place for him to get out, he charged me," Paul Fischer continued. "That's when I shot him, and he kept charging me. I shot him a second time, and he kept charging me. I shot him a third time, and he was finally disoriented enough for me to get away."

With the handgun:
Quote:
After determining that the bear was severely injured and would need to be put down, sheriff's Sgt. Lance Enholm fired his .45-caliber handgun five times at the animal.

"(The first shot) struck the bear in the head, and it immediately reacted and began flopping around and growling," Enholm wrote in his report. ". . . I fired another round from my handgun, again striking the bear in the head. This didn't appear to have any impact on the bear, and it kept coming towards me."

And finally, the rifle:
Quote:
It was shot No. 9, this time from the sergeant's .223-caliber rifle, that finally felled the bear.

Tough little bugger. Didn't seem to be terribly afraid of the gunfire noise either. I think your blanks are a good idea to try. You may get lucky and be able to frighten a bear off. But I don't think I'd want to actually shoot a bear, any bear, and risk irritating it ... with anything less than a .45-70 rifle.

#271321 - 08/18/14 06:32 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
haertig..i plan to have the first two rounds in my pistol as blanks.the company i got them from said expect a major muzzle blast.the next four will be bear loads.
i have never had a problem bear in all my years canoe tripping but rather than bang pots and pans together,a normal anti bear method,i thought a good loud BANG would do the job.
i should mention i would never shoot a black bear unless it had me by the foot dragging me out of the tent or something.
the use of blanks came to me after meeting a bear guide on the last canoe trip.he said a shot bear will run from the sound of the gun and drop dead,he hopes,in a hundred yards.a bear darted with a arrow won't run but will stand around the area until it drops.

I really think you should rethink the idea of carrying two blanks! A blank won't do anything a live round won't do but the reverse is not true! If you want to try noise you can fire live ammo into the ground or (carefully) the air.

My concern is that you could end up needing to employ your firearm on very short notice and at very short range. In that event you'll love precious time and waste your already-limited capacity. You don't mention what sidearm you're carrying but most of them hold six. Some hold seven and a rare few hold eight.

If you ever need the gun it will be hard to remember how many rounds of what you have in the gun! I realize you're not talking about a "gunfight" but stress is stress. In many police shootings officers have no recollection of how many rounds they fired, and sometimes don't even know if they fired their firearm or not!

One last comment- I am assuming you're talking about a revolver. If you're carrying an auto then I definitely wouldn't advice blanks! They won't reliably cycle your firearm.

If you're married to having less-than-lethal loads under the hammer, consider shot shells. They're still not advisable but will have more effect than blanks if you accidentally use them thinking you have regular ammunition.

#271322 - 08/18/14 06:36 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, what caliber are you carrying?

#271323 - 08/18/14 07:39 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I´d use hot glue for this purpose. It is easy to apply and the melting point is high enough to avoid melting and contaminating your load. It will also not flow far enough into the shell to have impact on the load.
Whether the blanks are fit for the intended purpose is beyond my knowledge.

#271325 - 08/18/14 02:02 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: M_a_x]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I were going to attempt sealing primers and case mouths like this, I'd use something designed for the purpose. Not wax or hot glue or fingernail polish.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954332/markron-custom-bullet-and-primer-sealer-1-2-oz-liquid

I am not entirely sure if the front end of a blank even can be sealed. I have seen few blanks in my life, but I seem to remember that the case mouth is (or can be) folded back and crimped/squashed over itself (like the front end of a standard shotgun shell). I don't know how well you could seat that, with all the bends and folds in the metal. The crimped front of the case mouth might be a place where a wax glob could be used.

As someone else already mentioned, we're talking about revolvers here. Blanks don't get along with semi-autos, especially blanks covered with wax or other goop.

#271331 - 08/18/14 06:31 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
For sealing the seats of bullets or primers I´m with you.
From the description the blanks should look like that: blank ammo.
Those have a tiny hole where the folded metal meets. That can be sealed. I would not use wax as it may melt and affect the powder.
Six rounds sound much like a revolver anyway.

#271344 - 08/19/14 05:08 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

this is turning into the same bag of worms as my PLB carry post!
which is fine because i get a lot of good feedback that i have no other way of getting,when your in the "retirement bubble" you don't get around much.
so anyway yes its a revolver,357 four inch Taurus that i bought in the 80's just for solo canoe tripping. i'm x-Army and handled a lot of weapons so after running half a box of ammo thru it i said "got it" and put it way until the next solo trip.with a buddy to watch your back i don't fret as much about camp bears.i carry a pepper spray on some of the portages but have never seen a bear that did not run when it saw me.
i don't like to be slinging lead around.a camp that a bear might come into looking for food would be in one of the well used bays.
i feel safer back in the bush whack lakes where most campers don't want to take the hassle to get back into.
i'll go with what i call "local knowledge",that is the bears where i'll be sharing the woods with will run away from a loud sharp BANG the same as they will stay away from a family banging on pots and pans.

i'll go with this..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (08/19/14 05:09 AM)

#271345 - 08/19/14 09:12 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't like having different kinds of ammunition in your gun under most circumstances. Unless you're super calm, you're going to forget what you've loaded. Under a great deal of stress, all you know is point and shoot. You won't be able to count rounds. As the bear is charging in, you'll be wondering whether you're still shooting the blanks or live rounds.

The other thing, of course, is bear defense. We might as well open up all cans of worms: 9 vs .45, AK vs AR, Mac vs. PC, Lauren Bacall vs. Catherine Deneuve...

#271355 - 08/19/14 05:27 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: Bingley]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't like having different kinds of ammunition in your gun under most circumstances. Unless you're super calm, you're going to forget what you've loaded. Under a great deal of stress, all you know is point and shoot. You won't be able to count rounds. As the bear is charging in, you'll be wondering whether you're still shooting the blanks or live rounds.

The other thing, of course, is bear defense. We might as well open up all cans of worms: 9 vs .45, AK vs AR, Mac vs. PC, Lauren Bacall vs. Catherine Deneuve...

"SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — A Douglas County sheriff’s deputy accidentally shot a black bear with a live round rather than a rubber bullet during a recent incident that resulted in the death of a mother of two cubs."

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/deputy-kills-tahoe-bear-in-apparent-accidental-shooting/

#271360 - 08/20/14 03:49 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I'm going to echo Phaedrus on this. Forget the blanks: if you want--and have the time--to fire warning shots, fire live rounds into the dirt. If you don't have the time to fire warning shots, you will have a ready defense, without having to crank through two blanks. Blanks are--maybe--just as effective as live ammo...when the barrel is pressed against the flesh of your target.

#271361 - 08/20/14 06:42 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

one more thing and i'll quit on this post.
good comments and all but what i want is a noise maker,a really loud one.i'm not going to be someplace where black bears are anything more than camp pests.the worst that could happen,and it does,is that campers loose their food bag and have paddle back to the landings where lunch in Ely is just a hour or so away.folks who are a few days back in the woods have been known to ask/beg/ folks they meet up with for something/anything to eat.
the subject of keeping your food safe is a major topic on canoe tripping boards.hang v.s.hide will bring out weeks of posts and counter posts.
the chance of a stalking or attack is so tiny that getting worked up about is a waste of time and mental energy.like i said in the other post the blanks are just my chase method like banging pots and pans.when you check in for you permit to the BWCAW you have to watch a "do and don't" video the highlight is a couple campers chasing a bear,a real one,out of their camp with shouts and stick tossing.this is not Alaska where fisherman have to have a guide standing by with a very big rifle or out west where hikers pitch tents inside a chain link fence camping area.
there are other scare methods like air horns and hand held flares but i'll go with this one.no lead slinging or ricochet off exposed bedrock,just a BOOM out the tent door at 5AM to get Mr Big away from my food.
and back to the original question which was sealing the crimp.
i'll go with the nail polish which seemed to fill in that little hole where the crimps came together.
when i get back in a few weeks i'll do a post on how they test fired.
keep your powder dry!!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (08/20/14 06:43 AM)

#271362 - 08/20/14 11:05 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Carpal Tunnel

Cool. I'm curious too. Never bought blanks before, I'm eager to see if the sealant works well for you. I agree- the odds of needing to shoot a bear are probably minimal.

#271364 - 08/20/14 02:59 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blank shotgun shells can be ordered through a gun dealer as well. I used those in 75mm Pack Howitzers for rendering salutes at official functions.

That was so loud, 1 person (a guest) had a heart attack on hearing the first round. I had the barrels pointed away from the ceremony and we were also 300 yards in distance.

#271368 - 08/20/14 08:10 PM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Canoedogs, maybe you need to carry a 75mm pack howitzer with you in the woods.

#271371 - 08/21/14 01:21 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

bingley,when i was young and foolish i thought about getting one of those just legal by a bit sawed off shotguns and slipping down the side pouch of my Duluth pack.

#271387 - 08/22/14 04:25 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
bingley,when i was young and foolish i thought about getting one of those just legal by a bit sawed off shotguns and slipping down the side pouch of my Duluth pack.

Hmmm...I don't think that's foolish at all! A short-but-legal double barrel coach gun would be an awesome woods gun. Maybe not something you could get at quickly (eg surprise unexpected charge) but you could unpack it once you made camp.

FWIW my main woods gun is usually a full sized HK (either a USPf9, P30S or my new VP9). Occasionally I even carry two full sized guns! Where I live there's nothing around that a 9mm isn't big enough to deal with.

#271389 - 08/22/14 05:13 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I understand your mind is made, but it's a bad idea.

No two encounters are the same and betting your life and those of your loved ones you may be with on anecdotal stories is a pretty big gamble. Animals are unpredictable; what they routinely do may not be what the one in front of you does (for varying reasons, including being sick). Just like in the self defense world, you prepare for worst case not the ideal case.

Noise makers are a great idea, don't get me wrong, but IMO keep your lethal options and less lethal options open, but functioning as intended.

Regardless of what you end up doing, I realize you'll probably never be in a situation where you'll have to put your theories to the test but if you do I hope it works for ya! smile

#271403 - 08/23/14 05:18 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

i won't ignore the good advice i get here while i'm off on my ten day solo. when i get back next month i'll let you all how it went.

#271406 - 08/23/14 10:57 AM Re: seal crimps on blanks? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 193 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.