Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#271162 - 08/10/14 02:19 PM Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

This is not really a survival question, but I figure with all the knowledge people on this forum have, I maybe able to get the answers where the my inferior google-fu has failed me. Basically I've moved into a new place, and came upon these two problems while settling in --

1. The landlord refinished the cast iron bathtub with aircraft paint. It looks good, almost like ceramic refinishing. Would there be any health hazards from soaking in the bathtub?

2. I have a portable AC that has to run a duct to the window. The duct gets hot. I went to the hardware store to look for insulation. All the fiberglass insulation products have warnings that scare me: to install it, I have to wear an N95 mask, goggles, long-sleeves, and then launder the clothing separately, and rising the washing machine after. I just need to cut the insulation to length and wrap it around the duct. What kind of risks am I facing? Also, do I need to somehow cover up the ends?

#271164 - 08/10/14 03:54 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
1. The landlord refinished the cast iron bathtub with aircraft paint. It looks good, almost like ceramic refinishing. Would there be any health hazards from soaking in the bathtub?

Old-style paint with lead in it was dangerous if ingested or breathed in. Aircraft paint may have chrome in it, which again is a heavy metal and isn't good for you to breathe, so painters using it need appropriate PPE. I don't think that it can come off and hurt you unless you find a way to ingest or inhale it. From what I've read, though, the chrome-bearing aircraft paints will cause rust in iron and steel, so the chances are that your landlord used a "green" aircraft paint without heavy metals in it.

Quote:
2. I have a portable AC that has to run a duct to the window. The duct gets hot. I went to the hardware store to look for insulation. All the fiberglass insulation products have warnings that scare me: to install it, I have to wear an N95 mask, goggles, long-sleeves, and then launder the clothing separately, and rising the washing machine after. I just need to cut the insulation to length and wrap it around the duct. What kind of risks am I facing? Also, do I need to somehow cover up the ends?

Fiberglass insulation has two main hazards that I'm aware of: inhaling it can cause all kinds of lung issues including silicosis, so don't do that. It can also cause skin irritation. I wouldn't be too concerned about the application -- just follow the directions and use the right PPE -- but I wouldn't allow fiberglass insulation in my house except protected, like inside a wall. In other words, I would not apply fiberglass insulation to an exposed duct unless I had some plan to protect the insulation from being disturbed.

#271172 - 08/10/14 07:19 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
>2. I have a portable AC that has to run a duct to the window.

If you only have a single duct, then I don't think insulating it is going make much difference.

AC's have to exhaust heat on one side and exhaust cool air on the other. Both sides need an intake and exhaust. Think of a window AC. The outside portion sucks air in from the outside and blows it across the hot coils to extract the heat. The inside portion sucks air in from the room and blows it across the cool coils and back into the room.

The cheaper portable ACs have only one duct to the outside--the exhaust. Where is the intake air coming from? Yes, the room. So the AC is sucking in cool air from the room and exhausting it out the duct. As you can imagine this is incredibly inefficient.

It is so inefficient, that I don't think you are going to save much by insulating the exhaust duct. You would be better off getting a two duct AC.

However, if you still wish to insulate, then I would use a product called Reflectix:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=Duct+Insulation&PageIndex=619

#271177 - 08/10/14 08:51 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Don't know if the duct is replaceable or if you could run the existing duct through it, but flexible insulated ducting is available at most home improvement stores. Sizes start at 4" and go up from there. The fiberglass is between an inner and outer liner. Downside is that you might have to purchase 25 feet not just the six feet that you need.

#271179 - 08/10/14 10:42 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the input! I knew I could count on you guys!

Treeseeker makes a lot of sense -- the portable AC design just isn't efficient. Putting in more work may achieve only limited results. I just need to get through a few really hot weeks during the summer.

#271182 - 08/11/14 05:43 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
In Europe two types of wool insulation are used based on spun glass or mineral rock.

The glass fibre is not considered harmful but is an irritant so protection from contact and breathing in the dust is recommended.

The rock wool type is considered harmful and can cause cancers, in fact it is banned from use in Germany.

Typical Glasswool MSDS

Rockwool MSDS

#271185 - 08/12/14 03:53 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ian
The rock wool type is considered harmful and can cause cancers, in fact it is banned from use in Germany.

In the US it's known as asbestos. I'm pretty confident that it's illegal to use in the US as well.

EDIT: See below, I was way off base here.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/13/14 12:59 PM)
Edit Reason: the veil of ignorance has been lifted

#271187 - 08/12/14 05:42 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Bingley]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Sorry, but Rockwool is not asbestos.

They melt rock and extrude it into fibers like candyfloss.

Asbestos is mined and has been stopped from use in most places in the world but is still mined in Russia and Brazil.

#271207 - 08/13/14 12:58 PM Re: Safety: aircraft paint & fiberglass insulation? [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ian
Sorry, but Rockwool is not asbestos.

Don't be sorry. You're right and I was wrong. And I was so confident about that too.

Thank you for the correction!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 652 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.