Originally Posted By: Denis
Some days it pays to be lucky!
In the article it says he carried the bear spray on his back. It also says he had time to try to duck down and get behind a tree, before the bear was on him.

I'm wondering that if he had carried the spray in a more accessable location, he might have had time to pull it out and spray the bear? Like any other defensive tool or weapon, bear spray needs to be carried where it is instantly available to use. I like to carry mine on my right hip. I either thread it onto the waist belt of my pack, or on my pants belt if I'm not carring a pack.

Awhile back, our local REI had a little training session for bear spray. They had some practice ones, which would spray but did not have the active pepper. Everyone got to actually try drawing the spray, popping off the safety clip, and spraying it. Good practice!

We also just had a runner mauled on one of our local trails. She was wearing ear buds, and not carring spray. She saw the cubs, then mamma bear came up from behind and nailed her. We can't know for sure, but it is possible that if she had not been wearing the ear buds and had carried spray, she might have heard the mamma bear behind her in time to use the spray.