Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270369 - 06/12/14 04:05 PM Reevaluate Priorities
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
April, after moving into our new home in Florida, I did not have a bed, shower curtain or Internet connection. This situation forced me to rethink what's really important and what isn't.

Without a shower curtain, I could not take a shower. Having a shower curtain is certainly the top priority. In this day and age, we need the Internet. On those nights, roughing it on the floor and seeing the big picture, I saw how unimportant a bed really is.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270370 - 06/12/14 04:28 PM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Think of this as a disaster test. Remember back to Hurricane Katrina, many people evacuated and some fled to other parts of the country and rented an apartment/house and never returned.
What if the same kind of scenario happened to you and you had to flee your new house. How would you shower, do you have a tarp/poncho in your gear that could serve as a temporary shower curtain? Do you keep travel supplies packed and ready (shampoo, soap, etc).
Do you have blankets or a sleeping bag that could serve as a temporary bed?
Do you have a mobile device capable of accessing the internet, make your next computer a laptop instead of a desktop so moving is easier?
Take notes and use that for planning.

#270383 - 06/12/14 10:49 PM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Without a shower curtain, I could not take a shower. Having a shower curtain is certainly the top priority. In this day and age, we need the Internet. On those nights, roughing it on the floor and seeing the big picture, I saw how unimportant a bed really is.

Some Camping Furniture is alway handy for these type of events. A tarp can be rigged up with some paracord/dinghy rope would have an effective Shower curtain. (assuming the shops are not open)

BCB Military Camp Cot. (could prove very useful for Hurricane country Evacuation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPsRW0zjrs

Coleman Sling Chair

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Sling-Ch...man+sling+chair

I have finally purchased a Android Smartphone in the last week for 1/5 the price of an iPhone. Being ruggedised IP68 specification I can access the Internet in the shower! wink

The phone is also now loaded with complete coverage of the UK using Ordnance Survey maps 1:50,000 scale from Memory Map.

http://shop.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/info_MML_HD_GB_14.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/12/14 10:50 PM)

#270386 - 06/13/14 01:28 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I would shower with plain water if I had to; didn't need to. Had soap (bath and hotel size) and now camp soap for the shower room.

I won't be getting a new computer any time soon. Bought a new Mac mini in January and I tend to use computers until they are obsolete. Besides, I prefer the comfort of a full-size keyboard.

Now that I think about it, those shower curtains used at some hotels, the ones with built-in rings (easy to put up, take down, fold and unfold) would be handy for unforeseen situations.

As for a bed, all I need is a pillow and some floor space.

Note: I have no affiliation with Apple. Once I tried Mac, I found it much better than Windows.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270389 - 06/13/14 02:33 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I started with a Mac back in '86 and only went to Windows in '98. My current PC laptop is running XP and will soon be running Ubuntu/Linux. Meantime, I use an Apple iPad for just about everything, which is one reason I've delayed going to Linux, really no need. An iPad and a bluetooth keyboard -- for most applications I'm good to go.

#270399 - 06/13/14 12:35 PM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the school district I worked for starting in 80-81, was Apple based with 2Es, then Macs, and by retirement has made the switch to PCs... I still had a graphite Mac on my desk, and bought a used one just to store my tests, labs, and worksheets... the Apple Works and Claris software was very easy to use compared to the Microsoft products.. I wrote my own grade keeping spreadsheet, and the draw program was easy to use for labs, worksheets, and test clarification diagrams... by adjusting the font size, I was able to just paste in my student's names for the hard bound roll book at the beginning of each quarter, as I could match the line spacing on the page...

#270422 - 06/14/14 12:33 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A cheap shower curtain can be had for under $10.00 and I am sure that it would last long enough until you could purchase a better curtain.

As for internet, I find that I don't need it as a priority item in life. If you did not have internet at home, there is no shortage of other places that do - such as work, the local library, coffee shops etc.

In regards to computers, nice but not a necessity for home use. A good smartphone with a decent screen size or a tablet along with a data plan works for about 95% of casual everyday internet browsing.

John Lubbock

#270423 - 06/14/14 12:38 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Teslinhiker]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
In regards to computers, nice but not a necessity for home use. A good smartphone with a decent screen size or a tablet along with a data plan works for about 95% of casual everyday internet browsing.

I need a full-size keyboard and a good word processor.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270424 - 06/14/14 01:30 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Apple's Pages app is a pretty good word processor. I wish I could say good things about Apple's Numbers spreadsheet app. More than adequate for my needs.

I use a Logitech keyboard; it has the same dimensions and folds with the iPad -- good battery life too. All I need for an office is wifi...

#270427 - 06/14/14 02:10 AM Re: Reevaluate Priorities [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

LOL, around here somewhere is a double sided 3.5" 800K disk with Excel version 0 and a few old spreadsheets I built. Awesome, operating system, Excel and a few files on a single 800K disk.

I started with a Fat Mac (512K RAM).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 602 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.