Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270314 - 06/08/14 10:28 PM Moving Cross Country
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
How do you move financial records across the country when moving?

The thought of moving cross-country for work has come up a few times in the last decade. Nothing has ever panned out, but I'm planning for a regional move to come up soon. Part of that is doing "spring cleaning" on my records. From the recommended retention periods for things such as tax documents, bank statements, retirement account yearly statements, medical record and payment information, and credit card statements, I will need to keep some stuff for 1 year and for others permanently (like tax records). Most of the stuff falls within a 7 year retention period. Thus, I need to keep these items for a while. Looks like most will fit in a banker's box.

Cross country would take about 4-7 days by ground. Most of my stuff I would assume would either be sold or transported by a moving company (assumption is work related and they'll pay). That leaves me getting on a plane with enough stuff to survive for 2-3 days and buying the rest when I land. However, how do I make sure these required financial records are not lost and secure during the transit?

#270318 - 06/09/14 01:28 PM Re: Moving Cross Country [Re: ki4buc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
you could scan them all (a PITA).

Personally we drive when we move. Last time, my Tacoma pulled my wife's civic, which had every nook and cranny filled with stuff. Weighed it after the drive at about 3000 lbs.

Otherwise ... most moving companies will take locked items (such as filing cabinets or the plastic bins you can buy at sporting good places). I haven't had problems yet, but I hear horror stories.

#270321 - 06/09/14 03:54 PM Re: Moving Cross Country [Re: ki4buc]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most banks/financial institutions will let you download pdf statements back over a period of time. Revolving accounts such as checking/savings/credit are typically a year and others may go more. I switched to paperless a while back and scanned any prior to the date I could download. I keep two folder structures, one for accounts and one for archived\accounts. The accounts I keep anything still open and moved to the accounts under archived if I close an account and just want to keep the data.
Before I moved I also cleaned up all my scrap wood/materials/computers/electronics piles, all those leftovers from small projects or items that broke and I kept for spare parts. Any furniture thats not heirloom you can sell and buy. Tools and gear I made sure to have toolboxes/bags/rolls etc that everything can be stored in to prevent small items from getting lost.

#270322 - 06/09/14 04:22 PM Re: Moving Cross Country [Re: ki4buc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For every risk you have three options: Accept it, insure against it, or mitigate it.

Make sure you understand how insurance applies to things being moved by your moving company, both your insurance and whatever insurance they provide. Insurance is not typically a good way to handle records that are lost, stolen or destroyed.

I'm a big fan of backups. Almost all of my important records are digital and backed up. Anything that can't reasonably be backed up should probably travel with you if you're traveling by ground. If you're flying and it won't go in a carry-on, I would send it FedEx -- in my opinion they are the most reliable package and document carrier (no affiliation).

#270348 - 06/10/14 09:44 PM Re: Moving Cross Country [Re: ki4buc]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Thanks for the thoughts! I was more concerned with losing a document and possibly needing it later, though I don't have a complicated tax situation so not too worried. This confirms my general idea that I would scan things I needed. The second one was to put it all in a box send it via FedEx. Maybe multiple boxes.

#270351 - 06/11/14 01:11 AM Re: Moving Cross Country [Re: ki4buc]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

See if you can download papers first rather than scanning, its much easier.
Also switch to paperless while your in there, no need to have that information sent through the mail. My old neighborhood the few of us good neighbors left would meet up once a week to exchange all the mid-delivered mail. Who knows who else may have gotten my bank statements before I switched everything to paperless.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 330 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.