Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270347 - 06/10/14 08:46 PM Re: Protective "tornado blanket" developed [Re: Arney]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I think it is a case of someone having a product already, and trying to market it for something else. There have been a few companies developing products as a result of school shootings, and this seems like one of them from the description of the pad/blanket. It is certainly not cost effective, and not very helpful for a tornado. Bullet resistant materials are not generally so resistant to punctures and they do not offer much padding by themselves. From what I know of tornadoes, blunt force trauma is the most common cause of death, not fast flying objects so much. At that price you could build many suitable shelters for an entire school.

#270350 - 06/10/14 11:09 PM Re: Protective "tornado blanket" developed [Re: Arney]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I cant see this being of much use.
A blanket or similar can not stop someone being killed if heavy debris falls on them.If a heavy roof beam for example falls, it is liable to crush the victim to death, and no flexible "shelter" would save them.
Neither can it stop the victim being picked up by the wind and subsequently being thrown with lethal force against structures or the ground. Indeed this product might Increase the risk by acting as a wind sail or kite.

It would give some protection against small fast moving projectiles, not just bullets, but also broken glass etc.
If protection against a mad gunman is in fact the main idea, then as others post "shoot me red" is not a good choice.

A proper tornado shelter should also last many years without significant furthur expense. These blankets will get lost, stolen, used for other purposes, and presumably require periodic replacement at significant expense.
After a few years without a tornado, I have little faith in the blankets actualy being on hand for instant use when needed.

#270360 - 06/11/14 09:36 PM Re: Protective "tornado blanket" developed [Re: adam2]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
This is the country that invented "duck and cover" as a system to prevent injury to schoolchildren in the event of thermonuclear explosions. Do not dismiss the marketability of a tornado blanket in such an environment.

In both cases, it would be equally useful to issue a body bag to each student, labelled as "safety cocoon", and schedule monthly cocoon-donning drills.

#270684 - 07/01/14 08:29 PM Re: Protective "tornado blanket" developed [Re: Arney]
duckear Offline
Addict

Sounds like a scam to get to some hapless school official to waste some federal grant money.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 470 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.