The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270281 - 06/04/14 07:47 PM Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa

I've had a number of fun outdoor / bushcraft related projects going on lately, from the restoration of old American Made (Collins and Coucil Tool), to the building of my own oak foldable buck saw (with paracord tension string), the creation of several knife sharpening paddles for my 220, 400, 600, 1200 and 2000 grid wet/dry sandpapers and leather strops, and the restoration of an old knife of my Grandfather's that I received when I was a boy. Each one of those topics should be several detailed posts of their own (and some are), but I'm short for writing time and wanted to post some things before I'm overwhelmed! I've grown frustrated with the lack of edge holding ability of my swiss army "fieldmaster" under repeated use on these recent projects, so I decided to dig through my keepsake knives looking for a new carbon steel user. I enjoy sharpening just as much as the next guy but don't like seeing a hair-popping sharp blade lose that edge after a few minutes whittling! I settled on a knife that I thought was a Barlow based on the handle shape, but soon learned was an old electrician's knife (probably Camillus) which my grandfather had modified (grinding the screwdriver into a utility blade).

I cleaned it up, sanded and sharpened the blades, oiled it up and removed some rust, linseed oil for the rosewood handle.

Within days of carrying it, I was able to give it a true test.

This week I've had the opportunity to put the buck saw and Gransfors Bruks Wildlife hatchet (that I had recently acquired) to hard use pruning several overgown maple trees on my property. The canopies on these trees had expanded so far that my lawn was turning to dirt underneath. In an effort to get some sun back on the ground I cut a large number of low branches with diameter's up to around 6". I used the Gransfors to limb and buck baw to section the bigger pieces. Both cut through the hardwood like butter.

Recognizing the bounty of fresh green maple I know had on hand, I decided to grab a few select pieces to pursue another project on my list - making my first kuksa (wooden cup). I've wanted to do this for some time, and figured it would be a great campfire project to whittle away at in the coming weeks. I stripped the bark off the branch I selected. Orienting the wood for what I thought was the best use of its natural shape (particularly for the future handle), I sketched some centerlines and cup shape using a sharpie. For some sort of size reference, I grabbed a measuring cup from the kitchen. My buddy pursuaded me to maximize the size so that maybe this cup could double as my beer "chalice" (hense the elongated oval shap right now)! The following photos show the initial rough out using the Gransfors, followed by a "re-draw" and refine shape (profile/side view), and finally the current status after some whittling and top/plan view sketching for the next refinement.

I've done a substantial amount of the latest rough work with the "new" pocket knife's main blade. The blade is hair popping sharp but still requires firm effort to work the maple. This is dense, tough wood, even though its green! What pleases me beyond words is that after each session so far (probably two hours total use) the blade has passed the shave test. I lapped the strop a couple times with it and it seems literally like I just sharpened it fresh. Goodbye SAK, goodbye stainless, I'm a carbon devotee for life! Maybe an opinel will be my next purchase.

#270285 - 06/05/14 12:18 PM Re: Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa [Re: kevingg]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Luddite here.
Congratulations on throwing off the bonds of modernity and celebrating the virtues of carbon steel. Mankind is fascinated by technological improvement: steel that does not rust, food that does not spoil, clothing that shed water and does not wrinkle. In acquiring the new, we lose sight of the virtues of the old, and of the vices of the new.
Greenwood carving is tricky: see notes here

Thanks for sharing your projects. I think there is an enormous survival value in working in the old forms, like wood carving and tool restoration, and Blast's expertise in edible wild foods. Keep us informed!

#270286 - 06/05/14 12:53 PM Re: Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa [Re: nursemike]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I'll checkout the link I think I need the advice!
Here is a shot of crack that has appeared (above red line). I may abandon this piece, what do you think?

#270287 - 06/05/14 12:54 PM Re: Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I see a crack and I have no idea how it formed (shock of hatchet work?). I'm a little concerned about it, not having worked much with wood. I'm afraid to go too far and have it crack on me. I've cut it back hoping to get to crack-less wood. We'll see how this played out.

#270289 - 06/06/14 12:06 AM Re: Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa [Re: kevingg]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
as green wood dries it cracks, checks, warps and does all manner of infuriating things. lumber yards kiln dry the lumber before sending it out for use in construction, and most carpenters and wood butchers don't work with green wood...but it is easier to carve. i suggest that you carry on, and plan to patch the cracks after they occur. this is your first kuksa, not your last, and the mission here is experiential learning rather than perfection.

i am approaching blacksmithing in this fashion-heating and beating, seeing how it turns out, giving away the better pieces, recycling the rest. not my habitual modus, in the past I read and sought advice, and went to school. now I am retired, no paycheck, no boss, no interest in what the critics say, so i am letting hephaestus and wayland lead me as they choose.

#270293 - 06/06/14 02:26 PM Re: Retired SAK Fieldmaster, First Kuksa [Re: nursemike]
kevingg Offline
Addict

That is advice I will follow!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 602 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.