Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270166 - 05/29/14 08:32 PM My HighGear altimeter watch is broken!
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I have a HighGear Axio Max Steel altimeter watch. It's kinda on the heavy side, but I like being able to quantify my environment at the touch of a button. The light has stopped working. You know the button you press to light up the screen when it's dark? Now it just goes dark.

I called HighGear. It turns out the brand is no longer in business, and do not repair things out of warranty. I guess the mother company is still around, but it won't fix things even if you pay them. I regret ever buying their stuff.

So what are my options? I am guessing this kind of electronics needs trained technicians and factory parts to fix.

Edited by Bingley (05/29/14 08:33 PM)

#270167 - 05/29/14 08:48 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
While it might be possible for you to find someone who is good at fixing altimeter watches to do this off-warranty, my expectation is that you still wouldn't be able to get this fixed. If the backlight has failed, the chances are that you won't be able to obtain the parts.

If I were you, I would look for a replacement or carry a small light suitable for checking the face of your altimeter watch. Casio has altimeter watches starting at under $50, which is certainly less than any attempt to repair it would cost.

#270168 - 05/29/14 09:00 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Casio Watches for the win. Most technology for the dollar I have found so far.

#270174 - 05/30/14 12:44 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The light has stopped working.
i have an older model altitech from high gear.

try changing the battery. worked for me.

#270175 - 05/30/14 02:26 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

How did your watch behave, Agent Smith? My backlight comes on momentarily, then the whole display goes dark. If I let go of the light button, everything comes back to normal.

#270178 - 05/30/14 03:30 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
How did your watch behave, Agent Smith? My backlight comes on momentarily, then the whole display goes dark. If I let go of the light button, everything comes back to normal.

That really does sound like a battery issue, not a broken backlight issue.

The reason it sounds like that to me is that the backlight takes up far more power than normal watch operations. If the battery is low, taking the additional current makes the voltage on a nearly exhausted battery sag so much that everything goes dead. Once the light is turned off, the current requirement goes way down and the voltage comes up enough to operate the watch again.

This is just about the best news you could have asked for :-).

#270183 - 05/30/14 05:25 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

agent?
just as you described.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
That really does sound like a battery issue, not a broken backlight issue.

The reason it sounds like that to me is that the backlight takes up far more power than normal watch operations. If the battery is low, taking the additional current makes the voltage on a nearly exhausted battery sag so much that everything goes dead. Once the light is turned off, the current requirement goes way down and the voltage comes up enough to operate the watch again.

This is just about the best news you could have asked for :-).

what he said.
and as we know, batteries are cheaper than a new unit.
i bought a garmin wristband gps unit that i use. little pricey, but it does what i need it to as well having a lot of features that i don't use.

#270186 - 05/30/14 06:51 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Yes, ETS for the win!

#270188 - 05/30/14 07:47 PM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: Bingley]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Yes, ETS for the win!
so can we assume you replaced the battery and life is good again?

#270290 - 06/06/14 12:44 AM Re: My HighGear altimeter watch is broken! [Re: bsmith]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bsmith
so can we assume you replaced the battery and life is good again?

Yep! My watch is back, lighting up darkness like a fire burning in the night! Thanks again, ETS!

Edited by Bingley (06/06/14 12:45 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.