Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269663 - 05/05/14 01:13 PM The bacteria are now in the ascendance...
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Antibiotic resistance is worldwide and increasing. Meanwhile, in big pharma, researchers in novel antibiotics are being laid off as those programs close, or reassigned to work on drugs that actually make money-those that treat hair loss, erectile dysfunction and depression: WHO report on antimicrobial resistance

No sir, we cannot cure your infection, but we can provide medication that will return you to your adolescence: hirsute, potent and unconcerned.

#269665 - 05/05/14 04:01 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Don't forget the relentless hawking concerning "low T," whether or not it is significant....

#269667 - 05/05/14 04:15 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: nursemike]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
I like what one doctor's office had for a sign by the front desk... basically it stated in no uncertain terms that the doc did *not* meet w/drug reps.

#269671 - 05/05/14 05:56 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: nursemike]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Antibiotic resistance is worldwide and increasing. .....WHO report on antimicrobial resistance
One reason is that people get a prescription for antibiotics for any sore throat or whatever, even though many times these ailments are viral, and antibiotics have no effect at all. People demand antibiotics and too many physicians comply. Meanwhile, some really nasty bugs are evolving.

EDIT: Deleted Doonesbury link to avoid offending anyone. smile

Edited by AKSAR (05/05/14 08:20 PM)
Edit Reason: Deleted Donnesbury link

#269673 - 05/05/14 06:03 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: nursemike]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Like Peak Oil, a true post-antibiotic era is a milestone that I fear many of us will experience within our lifetimes. So many medical and even dental procedures will no longer be "routine." Gangrene, septicemia, and even TB may become commonly used words again.

A part of me feels dread about that eventuality, but then again, maybe this is simply helping to restore some balance to things and is not the apocalyptic situation that it sounds like, at least not for us in the industrialized world. Historically, the bulk of the reduction in deaths from infectious disease were due to wider availability of food, clean water, and sanitation. Antibiotics and vaccines, at least in the West, primarily just mopped up what little was left.

So even without any effective antibiotics left, humanity would reset to a new equilibrium with bacteria. Yes, many more people than we are accustomed to now will likely die from infections and we will again suffer through more diseases, but people will carry on and humanity overall will not face extinction like in some Hollywood pandemic movie.

#269676 - 05/05/14 07:56 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: AKSAR]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Doonesbury on Drug resistant TB.

Really, that was more an attempted slight against creationists than a commentary on antibacterial resistant TB (as responded to here, for example). But I guess getting into that falls well outside the scope (and rules) of these forums smile.

#269677 - 05/05/14 08:21 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: Denis]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Deleted link. smile

#269678 - 05/05/14 09:12 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay, I emailed the deleted link... to true... not that believe one way or t'other smile

#269679 - 05/05/14 10:06 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: nursemike]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Realistically, bacteria are always in the ascendant; we only engineered a lull.

And then we blew it.

I assessing responsibility, we should not overlook short-sighted head-banging quick-buck idiocy such as antibacterial dish soap and feeding low-level antibiotics to farm animals.

#269680 - 05/05/14 10:11 PM Re: The bacteria are now in the ascendance... [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Drug-resistant bacteria are a well-known issue. I wonder why people continue to buy anti-bacterial hand soap? It doesn't really do anything useful for the purchaser, it's a marketing gimmick, but it helps contribute to resistant strains of bacteria. Such soap might be useful for a surgeon getting ready to stick their hands inside your guts, but for the everyday person, useless. And potentially harmful to the herd in the long term.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.