AKSAR - I'm hoping that the Shakeout is the "most probable" outcome ... and not something worse. But if you look at the ground accelerations predicted for the Shakeout - they are still very high across large parts of the LA Basin. I think I saw comments recently that hundreds, and maybe thousands, of buildings will be badly damaged (or come down). We have still not brought all properties up to code, and some are also historic buildings. My main concern in terms of disasters is probably the fire potential - since water mains will be broken. we have many neighborhoods in LA now which have been built up to very high population densities ... almost no room between adjacent houses and apartments.

Ultimately, it is the human reaction to the earthquake which I think is our biggest problem. there are very few fresh water sources in L.A., and it is impossible for the Gov't to get supplies to millions of people. so if the freeways are down, and people run out of water & food, that is the real problem (along with a climate of fear created by the earthquake and the subsequent fires).

Pete