Quote:
I don't know what to say to that. I mean, we almost lost basically ALL electronics and electrical power? I don't know how close (and I mean "close" in the astronomical scale) we came to being hit by a powerful CME, but it's still chilling.

A CME of the scale of Carrington event would probably take down large parts of various electrical Grids throughout the world. Many of the Transformers on those Grids will fail and a proportion of them will catch fire and burn.

Having electronic RCDs protection will help with home fires etc. A Black Start might be required across the Electrical Grid and if many of the larger unprotected HVT transformers may well have been damaged where they may take many months to repair (not replace) if those transformers are unprotected in geomagnetic susceptible geographic regions.

Small portable battery powered electronics should be perfectly OK and won't be damaged if not connected to mains at the time. Small sensitive electronics can be protected using Surge Protection Distribution Boards/Uninterruptable Power Supplies UPS's would help considerably if connected to the mains electricity espcially if using RCD protected mains. As with vehicle electronics, they should be fine as well.

Panic would ensue after about 2 weeks without electrical power and much of the country in the US and UK would probably descend into Katrina disaster like chaos, but with no one coming to the rescue and a high probability of Martial law within the first week of the country going dark in the flickering light of the burning cities.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/21/14 01:00 AM)