Originally Posted By: AKSAR

However IMHO, the vast majority of civilian buyers of this gear would be much better served with a simpler, lighter design. Most all of the really skookum outdoors people I know prefer a much cleaner exterior for their pack. Less excess material to add weight, and less pockets, flaps, buckles, and other crap to snag on brush. Organization is usually better achieved by sorting your gear into several stuff bags, inside the pack. The newer silnyl stuff bags are strong, waterproof, and weigh nothing.

I'm a civilian pack kind of guy. I really don't like having things attached on the outside. It throws ruins the balance of the pack. Having the modular approach, really doesn't work for me either. The penalty of weight, bulk and cost is just not worth it. Might as well buy another slightly larger pack to carry more things. Outdoor packs usually also have a better frame/carry system.

I never really worn out a proper outdoor pack. Yes, the cheap junk does wear out, but that is just getting what you pay for. the proper stuff just seems to last forever.