Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
BTW, Linux folks shouldn't get too smug. Just as Apple recovers from a gaping security hole, a serious hole of similar size has been found in Linux and affects most of the major distributions: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/03/...-eavesdropping/

Actually, it affects more than your local desktop computer. It affects the websites you connect to. I don't believe it matters what you connect from (Windows, Linux, etc.) And since the vast majority of websites you connect to are running on Linux servers, it affects everyone. There are very few Microsoft websites are out there in the grand scheme of things - sorry Bill Gates. As I read the advisory, it requires a man-in-the-middle attack, which are not necessarily easy to implement, and not on a wide scale. So while it is a security flaw, it is not one that could be widely exploited.

And the other plus with the Linux OS is its easier to patch. I can't remember the last time I've needed to reboot for any patches, security or otherwise. Its more modular so I just unload whatever needs patched, patch it and reload it. You can easily roll the patch out across your web farm.