The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267582 - 02/21/14 01:19 AM flashing white bicycle headlight
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
just got back from a bike ride to my favorite pizza shop... my flashing amber front light was recently ruined by leading AAAs, so replaced it with an inexpensive LED bike white light with a flashing function... additionally I use a LED MiniMaglight for illumination... the response by motorists was amazing, much better than with the amber...I did cover a portion of the top lens with black electrician tape to block the flash from my direct vision...

#267585 - 02/21/14 03:03 AM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: LesSnyder]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

great idea - remember to add reflective material to your bike, pack, helmet and water bottle

#267591 - 02/21/14 12:41 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: LesSnyder]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When I saw amber I was thinking thats not a good color for a light. Amber is the signal color, amber means your signaling to turn. Ever see some of these never cars which use amber as the DRL, every get one as a rental. Everyone pulls out in front of you, they glance your way and see amber and assume your turning so they are safe to pull out.

I have the red PB superflash on the back of mine BTW.

#267594 - 02/21/14 02:10 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just yesterday I encountered a cyclist with a flashing white light in full daylight - very conspicuous and obvious. Highly recommended.

#267595 - 02/21/14 03:38 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: LesSnyder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A friend of mine was in a bike lane and lit up like a Christmas tree, but it didn't prevent him from being hit from behind. With other lights as distractions, you can't be lit up enough riding at night.

#267596 - 02/21/14 04:12 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: Russ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
A friend of mine was in a bike lane and lit up like a Christmas tree, but it didn't prevent him from being hit from behind. With other lights as distractions, you can't be lit up enough riding at night.

Having lots of light does not means you are more visible. Lots of people have there lights aimed to high and are blinding others. Which makes you very visible, but not less likely to be hit.

Strobe lights are also interesting. While visible, it does make it harder to see distance. Especially in bad weather condition.

#267598 - 02/21/14 04:56 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: LesSnyder]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Keep in mind local law varies as well. IIRC, here in WA I think it is technically illegal to have a flashing white headlight, but I think amber is OK. That said everyone does it anyway. [edit: after additional research, it seems you can have amber, but it still can't blink. no red lights allowed 'cept in back]

That said, be careful not to blind oncoming motorists. My personal approach is to have two lights, one bright (700-1800lumens), not blinking, aimed down to illuminate the road and not blind motorists, and another less bright (<=80lumens), non-directional light, blinking for safety.

Also environmental context is important. Rural fast moving roads are much different and have different considerations vs a populous city core. In the former, being seen from behind is important, in the city, 360 degree visibility is key (and hard to attain).

-john

Edited by JohnN (02/21/14 05:53 PM)

#267599 - 02/21/14 05:15 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: JohnN]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JohnN
...here in WA I think it is technically illegal to have a flashing white headlight, but I think amber is OK.

That's interesting. I've never heard of a local law like that. I would think common sense would dictate that a constant white light would at least be legal in that situation, otherwise the law is essentially making it impossible for a cyclist to be able to illuminate their path on a dark night. (In this case, I'm talking about laws that were written a long time ago, where cyclists rode more slowly than now, and often on less heavily travelled roads, so seeing the road was more important than being seen by cars, which is a higher concern in most places nowadays.)

I live in San Francisco, so there are tons of people who commute to work via bicycle. I used to ride a lot but in my personal risk-benefit calculation, I think the risk is too great to commute by bike from my house to work everyday. Anyway, to be seen by others, I think a flashing white light makes the most sense. Most motorists equate white light with something headed your way, and red with something moving away from you. Amber? That's iffy, and requires the driver to concentrate harder to figure out what is going on.

However, as has been mentioned earlier, too many cyclists use a combination of a very bright LED light and aim them too high. Dazzling drivers does not enhance cyclist safety and just annoys everyone else. That said, it's almost unbelievable how bright some bike lights are now. I'll be walking down the street in the dark and I sometimes see a big wall of light approaching from behind. Is it a silent hybrid car coming up (a common occurence here)? No, it's a cyclist! Amazing.

But really, I think raising the awareness of motorists is the biggest contributor to improving safety. And that goes for making things safer for motorcyclists, too. Illumination and reflectors only help so much, but if a car makes a bonehead move when a bicycle is right there, the only way the motorist knows you're there is when the cyclist comes flying onto the hood of the car.

#267600 - 02/21/14 05:32 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: Arney]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: JohnN
...here in WA I think it is technically illegal to have a flashing white headlight, but I think amber is OK.

That's interesting. I've never heard of a local law like that. I would think common sense would dictate that a constant white light would at least be legal in that situation, otherwise the law is essentially making it impossible for a cyclist to be able to illuminate their path on a dark night.

Solid white headlight is not only legal, but required after dark.

Quote:
(1) Every bicycle when in use during the hours of darkness as defined in RCW 46.37.020 shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the state patrol which shall be visible from all distances up to six hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector. A light-emitting diode flashing taillight visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear may also be used in addition to the red reflector.

I think the prohibition on flashing front light is generic, not specific to bikes. There is a clause specifically allowing blinking red taillights on bike.

Quote:
(3) Flashing lights are prohibited except as required in RCW 46.37.190, 46.37.200, 46.37.210, 46.37.215, and 46.37.300, warning lamps authorized by the state patrol, and light-emitting diode flashing taillights on bicycles.

Note there is also a clause about the aiming of lights:

Quote:
which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle.

-john

Edited by JohnN (02/21/14 05:42 PM)

#267601 - 02/21/14 05:51 PM Re: flashing white bicycle headlight [Re: LesSnyder]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I recommend using lithium batteries--if for no other reason, they won't leak and ruin your equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.