Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Tape

I got tape. Really big fan of the wide sports tape. From gear fixing, attaching gauze/bandages or as a support for ankles.

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I like a six compartment pillbox, hard sided, because meds are hard to improvise.

I'm always surprised about the amount of medications in American FAK's. A pack of pain killers is as much you will find in any European one's. I rarely feel the need to use medication. For example i'm pretty sure i have taken less then 10 pain killers in my life. I have only carried some pain killers, ORS salts and diarrhea pills in my FAK's.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
A whole lot of first aid items are lurking in your gear, just biding their time-like bandanas which are actually triangulars, the blue foam pad which can become a C collar, the aluminum pack stays which transform into splints - the list goes on and on. I like to have in my dedicated FAK an ace bandage or two, some sterile dressings of various sizes, and "odds and ends". I keep bandaids stashed in my wallet - really handy there and I agree that they can handle most situations.

I like a multitool for aid in improvising items. For instance, I'll bet I could saw out some really dandy splints from the gunwales of Canoe Dogs craft in a very short time, and come up with a really good item.

Well being a mountaineer we are like to travel light. We wear the same underwear for a week. So I don't carry a lot of other things i can maxgyver with.