Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266647 - 01/18/14 12:01 AM Steering Wheel Survival Tool
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Brilliant product. I think everyone on ETS should install one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate..._pr_product_top

Make sure you scroll down to the reviews. The comments are well considered and very informative.

#266648 - 01/18/14 01:08 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
As I clean the Dr Pepper out of my keyboard. Mr Sulu's review was the best, altho the midget one was informative.

#266650 - 01/18/14 03:15 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, seems to me it is the anti-thesis of survival.

#266653 - 01/18/14 05:25 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

yes ... that gives me a whole new perspective. am I allowed to hurt these people? just saying :-)

Pete

#266654 - 01/18/14 07:28 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I just ordered one, thanks. I have a long commute. This will help me get work done while I'm driving. Don't worry. My commute doesn't have a lot of turns. So, I shouldn't be too distracted.

#266655 - 01/18/14 03:08 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: ireckon]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Blood groove. Changing table.

#266656 - 01/18/14 03:30 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: clearwater]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I hear this same company is coming out with a companion eliptical exerciser that attaches to your brake and accellerator pedals, to keep you fit while driving those long commutes.

#266657 - 01/18/14 04:05 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I really like this for dining while on the road. No need to hold a soda between my legs while munching on a burger and fries. Now I can put them on a table like a civilized person would do. wink Even better, I can eat a real dinner with a knife and fork. What a great idea whistle lol

#266658 - 01/18/14 04:26 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

On a serious note, I don't know how useful this thing would for be for its intended use: providing a flat service to the driver while the car is parked. There isn't much room between your chest and the steering wheel (this issue is particularly troublesome for well-endowed women). So it seems easier just to switch over to the passenger's side and use a lap table. You'll have more room.

If you frequently need to use a laptop while driving, maybe the police car solution of mounting a stand between the two seats is better.

#266659 - 01/18/14 04:43 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
All joking aside I sometimes have to work from my car. I do so parked, from the front passenger seat. There isn't enough room in the driver's seat for me and my laptop.

#266662 - 01/18/14 06:58 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Frankly, I don't even know if there is enough room for me and my laptop after I push my seat back all the way. Now, I'm curious. If there is enough room, I could have use for this product. However, I'm not paying $25.39 for it. I might pay $6 used.

Side note, all the reviews from Verified Purchasers got instant thumbs down. That's kind of messed up. The product could be useful if it fits like in the picture, but everybody comes by just to joke around.

#266666 - 01/18/14 08:29 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: ireckon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ireckon
The product could be useful if it fits like in the picture, but everybody comes by just to joke around.

I think the issue is that everyone recognizes that this is a stupid idea for a product, even without having to try it. Thus the jokes. People don't have to actually jump off a cliff to figure out it will hurt.

#266671 - 01/18/14 11:16 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
When I had to work in my car, I just propped my organizer up on the steering wheel and turned on the dome light. If yoy want a really versitle work surface, attach a pair of coat hooks to the back of a clipboard and hook it over the steering wheel. I see UPS trucks with hard mounted clipboards on the steering wheel

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#266687 - 01/19/14 08:11 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: haertig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: ireckon
The product could be useful if it fits like in the picture, but everybody comes by just to joke around.

I think the issue is that everyone recognizes that this is a stupid idea for a product, even without having to try it. Thus the jokes. People don't have to actually jump off a cliff to figure out it will hurt.

If I'm stopped somewhere, it would be nice to have some sort of hoovering table like this. I know I'm a little slow sometimes, but I fail to see how such a table is a stupid idea.

#266702 - 01/20/14 01:19 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: ireckon]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I know I'm a little slow sometimes, but I fail to see how such a table is a stupid idea.

If so, you aren't the only one. Even if it is a stupid idea, they should filter out the obvious joke reviews.

#266703 - 01/20/14 03:00 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I confess I'm surprised this has given any distress, but I offer my regrets to the offended.

I simply posted this for general amusement (wearing my best deadpan face -- where's my Oscar?) because the reviews were equally deadpan and amusing. And honestly, given the usual Internet screaming match, they were quite restrained, disciplined, and creative in their way. (The blood groove/quarter beef review still makes me laugh out loud.)

The product itself is pretty innocuous (though overpriced for 50c worth of plywood). The wise-guy reviewers simply twigged onto the obvious statistical certainty that someone will use one of these in a moving vehicle and trouble will ensue. It's not about the product; it's about human nature.

FWIW, I'd bet that the extra traffic generated led to more units being sold than would have happened otherwise. Hey, that's show biz!

#266706 - 01/20/14 06:20 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I confess I'm surprised this has given any distress, but I offer my regrets to the offended.

No problem here. I'd run into other items where it's mostly jokes before. I just think, even for the dumbest item, reviews are not the place for jokes unless it's relevant (i.e. crack a joke about the bad service from a vendor).

#266708 - 01/20/14 01:49 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: UTAlumnus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

All right then, joking aside, there is no way I would carry a very small table top to hook into and cantilever off my steering wheel on the off chance I needed to work in my car. If I needed to work in my car I'd also do the passenger seat thing and get the steering wheel completely out of the picture.

I don't eat in the car at all, parked or driving.

#266709 - 01/20/14 02:24 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

This reminds me of what professor (Crisis management) said; the best safety measure in a car would be a big nail facing the driver on the steering wheel.

#266721 - 01/20/14 11:34 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Jokes on here I'm all for. In a product review on the other hand, some people are actually trying to get useful information from them.

#266723 - 01/21/14 12:00 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: UTAlumnus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

For a product review you actually need the product to review. The jokes are about the concept of a table attached to a critical automobile control system. Yeah, I think we can assume that it was designed for use with the car stopped, but really... If it fits your steering wheel correctly and your seat gives you a good position relative to the tabletop and you actually do work in your car that a table would benefit, then get one. I would not buy one based on the 5 Star product reviews from Amazon; OTOH if I was in a situation where one might be useful, I wouldn't let those reviews stop me from buying one.

#266734 - 01/21/14 05:08 AM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Problem is people are using the product reviews to JOKE about the product. In this particular case, any useful info like does it work with a particular make/model is buried under jokes. Maybe it's just me but shouldn't product reviews contain constructive comments about form, function, construction, or vendor problems?

I usually find it's effective to look at the spectrum of the ratings & especially look at the low ratings. A review that tells what they like about it (does it work) and what they didn't can a big help. Several times I've decided against a product that's got a majority of 4-5 stars due to several 1-3 star ratings. Lower ratings usually describe what doesn't work or problems with a particular vendor.

It is not a good place to find deals on bulk Streamlight brand cr123 batteries (vendor/QC/old stock problems).

#266763 - 01/21/14 08:30 PM Re: Steering Wheel Survival Tool [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

I'm not offended. I also thought the jokes were funny for the most part. I just don't see how the intended use for this product is a stupid idea. So far, the best explanation I got is that some people would prefer to sit in the passenger seat. I'm still wondering how that makes this product a stupid idea.

The idea that somebody out there will use this while driving, well, that's true for every single product in Walmart. Barbecue pit, yep, I'm sure somebody out there has tried to barbeque while driving.

By the way, I'm an entrepreneur. I don't like to see people go overboard with bashing on a product. I also prefer to see real reviews on Amazon. The Internet has a problem with too many fake reviews on products. Harbor Freight Tools and every software app on iTunes, I'm talking to you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 754 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Today at 07:37 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.