I've always not been a fan of bottled water, for the cost and waste of plastic and the space all the bottles take up but I'm faced with now the second issues with my own city water.
Our water has smelled like mold for a couple months and the city says it was due to spores in the lake or something and that its not a problem. But I asked myself if its normal for spores to fall in the water every winter and make the water small how come we have never noticed until this year? Apparently others have complained too as they have now said they are taking steps to eliminate the problem which probably means they will increase our rates again.
A few years ago we received our bill with a notice in it that the level of some chemical tested high over the last testing period but it was safe for adults and should only be avoided by infants. During the months prior to that my wife breastfed our first born so he probably got whatever chemical it was via the water she was drinking at the time and we had just started him on those baby cereals where you mix with water. So we started buying water for that but wondered if any damage had already been done and wondered why no notice except a letter in the bill after the fact.
I started buying bottled water but buy the larger 3L bottled which are thicker than the individual and take up less space and make less waste and are easier to re-use.