Originally Posted By: Russ
The comments above are too funny. Seriously though, survival is a mindset and it really doesn't matter much where you are. You should be thinking two steps ahead rather than reacting to something unforeseen. In the case of a hotel, I'm usually ready to walk out the door and down to the lobby -- would never get caught outside the room nekkid. EDC items come to mind; when I'm living in a hotel, that keycard thingy becomes part of my EDC.

Totally OT: Surviving a bombing in a large crowd is easy -- don't be there.

Ever since reading about the Arrow Electronics disaster in 1980 ( www3.gendisasters.com/new-york/4265/white-plains,-ny-stouffer%2526%2523039%3Bs-hotel-fire,-dec-1980 ) whenever I go into a hotel or other large building for a meeting or an overnight stay I always make sure to do several things (and I have also drilled this into my kids when they were with us).

(1) For a hotel room - first clear the room with a drawn gun.

(2) For a hotel room or a conference/meeting room - walk thru and find the exits. For a room, this means memorizing the direction to the fire exit, and how many doors between my room and the exit. This is because you may be crawling thru a smoke-filled hallway. I've been challenged on several occasions by hotel staff at conferences. The exits in meeting rooms tend to be back in the 'staff only' areas. I just tell them I like to know my way around.

(3) For a hotel room, I leave mt wallet, car keys, flashlight, room card, coat, pants and shoes by the door in case I have to make a quick exit.

Edited by brandtb (01/10/14 02:30 AM)