I would like to second Chris’s idea. Our team as well dozens of others in each state and I am sure in most countries around the world are in need of new and replacement equipment. While I am well aware that many in the general community see much of these equipment as “boys with their toys” attitude, I can assure you most men and women in emergency services are aware of the need to be budget conscious. Many Fire/Rescue companies, both volunteer and career have been creative in making some of their own gear or buying their own personal gear. Many companies are faced with having to buy new gear every few years to maintain compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and National Fire Protection Act (NFPA) requirements, which have both criminal and civil penalties for failure to provide approved personal protective equipment (PPE). To outfit one firefighter it can cost upwards of $1,200 to 1,500 for one set of turnout gear and breathing apparatus. Teams such as ours, which in addition to being firefighters, also handle specialty rescues such as technical/mountain/high angle, swiftwater, trench, confined space and collapse, must have the appropriate equipment to complete the task. The equipment and PPE can run into the millions of dollars. And while it is true we receive tax dollars to buy and support some of the equipment, we also need to raise money through BINGO, breakfasts and dinners.

If you feel you need to have some type of personal throwing line, you can buy throw bags with line for $15-45, depending upon your needs. Learn how to use the throw bags and you may save a life. Pete

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/07/04 05:33 PM)