One semi-non-conventional use I've found for my original Folding Firebox Stove ( http://www.fireboxstove.com/5-inch-folding-firebox ) is for a campgound cheerer-upper. In an established family campground you can just set one of these things on the picnic table and build up a small fire for fun at night. It only takes a few minutes to gather up a large pile of little sticks, pine cones, etc. in a campground. It's like sitting around the campfire when you don't want to build a big campfire and then wait for it to burn down before going to bed. With an appropriately designed stove (like the above) this does no damage to the picnic table. There is an ash pan to catch any hot ashes and the bottom of the stove that sets on the table does not get hot enough to do any damage.

You get plenty of warmth sitting at a picnic table around one of these things. And you get to gaze into the flames for that mezmorizing effect. Plus, it's just fun to feed little sticks into the fire and watch them light up (at least for me, it is). When you're ready for bed, just stop feeding the fire and it will go out in a few minutes.

I don't think I'd have so much fun sitting around and gazing into a MSR Pocket Rocket fired up on the picnic table. For pure cooking needs there are more efficient devices. But if you want to add fun and enjoyment, these little wood burners are the ticket IMHO. Of course, trying to survive and eat in a cold and rainy situation might be better served by a different stove.