I completely agree with both AKSAR and Hikermor.

Although I am not part of any SAR. Over the years, both my SO and I have helped and participated with SAR searches when they put the word out for help...which is not often around here as we have about 10 SAR teams in the area which provide mutual aid for each other.

All the times we have been out, after signing forms and then questioned and scrutinized on our skill levels and gear, we have been paired with SAR team members. On any search we follow their rules and protocol and stick with them at all times. Meaning no wandering off and looking on your own or thinking you know more then the SAR team. And yes, that does happen as AKSAR mentioned in his post.

If you ever decide to get involved with these searches, you must be in much better then average physical hiking shape as you can be out for hours in the hot summer sun to rain and cold, snow conditions on all kinds of different terrain. Also the requisite gear is a must and SAR ICS will check that you do have that gear before they let you out in the field.

John Lubbock