I'm not sure there is a consistent set of training for volunteers who work for NGO's, church groups, humanitarian organizations, and medical groups. The standards and training very tremendously. This topic was recently discussed on a separate forum that is aimed at security professionals. Most of the people there have experienced a lot of frustration with the NGO's and have largely given up on them. The security folks think that it's a real shame that volunteers from the NGO's might be seized and taken as hostages, but it almost inevitable. The root of the problem is that NGO's do not want to spend a significant part of their budget for improved security (since most of that budget comes from donations), and in addition they do not want armed guards to be visible around their operations (since this is an image conflict with their humanitarian work).

Bingley is quite right - the few times I have spoken to volunteers of large NGO's I have found that when they got "training" it was often things like ... what to say if someone kidnaps you. Personally, it's more than a little alarming. I would rather see these groups set up proper security perimeters, post some 24-hour lookouts, and have a "rapid escape plan". Get people out of trouble, instead of coping with worst-case outcomes.

Journalists have a different problem because they have to get a story. So this compels them to go to riskier areas ... at least sometimes.

One thing that all these volunteers can do is to carry some sort of locator beacon or tracking beacon - so they could be found if there is an emergency. The single biggest thing that stops them from being rescued is that it is impossible to locate the kidnappers in a short period of time.

Pete

Edited by Pete (12/26/13 03:43 AM)