Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The articles seem too sketchy at this point to support decent analysis of the incident. One thing that came to mind is the troopers' description of the woman as "severely hypothermic", yet she was apparently able to speak with them and explain the situation. I suppose it is a matter of terminology, but even if a person is confused and has the "umbles" that is not what I know as severe hypothermia. Maybe the trooper first did some immediate action to help warm her, and only then was she able to communicate.
Good point Glock.

To some extent it is terminology. Strictly speaking, it sounds like from a clinical perspective she was likely only moderately hypothermic. Keep in mind that these classifications are very only gradational, and somewhat arbitrary. And not all patients present exactly the same way. In WFR we are taught that in the field, without the ability to get a reliable core temperature, we can really only reliably distinguish hypothermia into two categories: "mild" and "moderate/severe". Mild hypothermia can be effectively handled in the field. Moderate/severe hypothermia is best handled with advanced medical care. In a pinch you might be able to rewarm a moderately hypothermic patient in the field, but it is very risky. Problems like afterdrop or ventricular fibrillation can easily kill them. For a severly hypothermic patient, there is very little likelihood you could successfully rewarm them in the field. Hence if I found a hypothermic victim, and was not absolutely sure it is only mild hypothermia, I would try to prevent further heat loss and try my best to arrange an evac to advanced care for rewarming. Simularly, I suspect the Trooper was being appropriately cautious.

For more details on clinical presentation and treatment options, a good source is the State of Alaska Cold Injuries Guidelines (pdf). It covers hypothermia, frostbite etc, both in terms of field care, and in advanced care in a hospital. Back in 2003, Alaska DHSS convened a panel of medical experts who developed the guidelines. Some revisions were made in 2005. It is well worth looking at.