Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265781 - 12/15/13 08:11 PM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It would seem anything with oil in it would be less desirable, as the oil will go rancid.

Grape nuts aren't too bad served hot.

Perhaps one thing I like so much about Grape nuts is they take longer to eat per unit weight than other cereals. All that chewing makes my jaw feel like I am eating a bigger meal. That seems to help satisfy the appetite a bit more.

For short term storage, granola is pretty good stuff. It can have the same appetite satisfying effect as Grape Nuts.

Cap'n Crunch tears up my mouth too much. Tastes great, but then all I taste is blood after.

#265812 - 12/16/13 04:55 PM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
So the English waiter told the Scot:
- We don't serve oatmeal here sir, except to horses.
To what the Scot replied:
- That's why England has such good horses and Scotland has such good men...

#265830 - 12/16/13 10:31 PM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Quinoa>bulgur>oatmeal>rice

Unfortunately, don't care for quinoa which reconstitutes with wormy things in it. I like bulgur for esthetics, cooking ease,a nd flexibility in extending/replacing ground meat.

#265834 - 12/17/13 01:58 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't like quinoa, either. As a chef I guess I'm supposed to fawn over it but I don't care for it at all.

#265835 - 12/17/13 02:49 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I've always taken oatmeal camping, canoeing, just about any overnight or longer outdoor activity. As stated earlier, it's good hot or cold, can add just about anything to it, and for sweetness if needed I add honey, mostly for taste since the calorie diff between sugar and honey isn't all that great. Plus i use the honey to sweeten my tea, and it never goes bad. I've had oatmeal I've unpacked a couple years later and it's no different than the stuff I got ate last week.

#265841 - 12/17/13 04:22 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: barbakane]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's worth mentioning that, at least purchased in quantity, oatmeal is really cheap. I figure my morning serving (1/2 cup dry) costs me about 5 cents. The nuts and fruit I add surely cost me more than that, but my breakfast total is well under a buck. Cheap, nutritious, can be palatable with modest additions, stores well - oatmeal is a pretty decent product.

#265844 - 12/17/13 05:33 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: nursemike]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've always been a barley fan. I guess that's another reason why I like Grape Nuts so much.

#265847 - 12/17/13 06:16 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'll put my vote in for Red River cereal.hard to find outside of Canada but great stuff best when mixed with oatmeal,real oatmeal.
Grape Nuts served hot with brown sugar is a favorite on canoe trips.

#266057 - 12/25/13 03:19 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
sotto Offline
Addict

I read about a study once where a bunch of researchers decided to test which breakfast cereals would allow laboratory animals to survive and thrive (as in maintain or put on weight). Out of all the cereals tested, Cheerios was the only one.

I'm thinking back now to a tour that we took of the Kelloggs Plant in Battle Creek, Michigan. One of the main features of the tour was following the entire process of producing Kellogg's Corn Flakes from start to finish. They were very proud of the fact that each flake was actually a kernel of real corn--that they first cooked the hail out of in big barrel-shaped pressure cookers, then squashed the hail out of so they'd be flat, and then dried the hail out of so they'd be crunchy, which then left the product so devoid of any nutritional value that they had to spray vitamins on the flakes through a big duct over the conveyer belt that dropped the corn flakes into the cardboard cereal boxes. Yum.

#266058 - 12/25/13 07:23 AM Re: What is the best SHTF cereal? [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Oatmeal, Grape Nuts, and Granola.
Oatmeal is the easiest on the stomach and can be eaten with milk or cooked with oil.
Granola has the highest fat and protien content, will stick to your ribs the best, and can be browsed on as a snack. But, it is the hardest on your stomach.
Grapenuts is halfway between the two being more satisfying then oatmeal, but easier on your systen then granola. Prepare and serve it like oatmeal.

Add honey to your kit for more quick energy, and it has an indefinite shelf life.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 380 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.