I could never get fanny packs to fit me proper. Always seemed to make my belt line droop. I preferred a messenger bag or sling bag (what buddies respectfully referred to as my "Man Purse").

I keep Gladys in a fanny pack when not hung on my belt. But I sling the fanny pack on a shoulder instead of around my waist. Her fanny pack is about 15 years old now. I lined it with upholstery fabric to keep Gladys warm and cozy and safe from bangs and drops. The fanny pack has a pouch in front that will hold three full size magazines for Gladys, so it is a pretty good stow and go for me. Glenda and Gloria are holstered, although they will usually be stow and go in a range bag. Gerty is too big for a holster, so when she's not folded up in the range bag with Glenda or Gloria, she is hanging on my shoulder with a loop of 550 paracord attached single point style.

Perhaps one step removed from the fanny pack, some Maxpedition/Blackhawk belt loop packs function much like a fanny pack. Again, too much load on the belt line makes for sag, and constantly hiking the jeans back up.