Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#265434 - 12/01/13 05:00 AM Heavyweight gear repair in field
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
What would be better for repairing heavyweight gear in the field? By heavyweight gear, I mean boots, packs and straps, and tents and tarps. A lockstitch sewing awl (handheld manual sewing machine), or a sailmakers palm (thimble on steroids)? Assume both have plenty of spare needles.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#265441 - 12/01/13 05:05 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'll bite, having no experience with this question. In my personal experience there is no equipment malady on the trail that can't be addressed with the application of duct tape or 100 MPH tape, at least enough to get the hiker back to the TH. Tape can be used alongside and interchangeably with straps, the type you use to hold things to your packs. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Comfortably, that's the question. I ended one 50 miler with a Scout carrying his pack contents on a sling over his shoulder, for want of a sewing awl.

For actual repair as opposed to Scout torture, I recommend the simple awl with Kevlar thread that I found in my Dad's camping kit while I was cleaning out his stuff. You can see where he had hand stitched every hole or mule kick in our Korean War vintage canvas tent used as our desert basecamp, and those stitches have held up famously. Something like this -

http://www.rei.com/product/602118/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl

Although I've never packed an awl along on the trail, despite needing one at least once.

#265443 - 12/01/13 05:26 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have a Speedy Stitcher which I have used to good effect, but I don't carry it in the field, either. Occasionally I do pack a small sewing kit produced by Patagonia some years ago, which does have a variety of needles, including a very small lightweight awl capable of heavy work like the Speedy Stitcher. Seems consistent, Patagonia is now providing workshops where people can repair and mend stuff, instead of participating in the marketing frenzy known as Black Friday.

#265444 - 12/01/13 05:48 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
zip ties seems to be a favorite among canoe trippers.most if not all have a SAK type knife with a awl to punch holes and then put the zip tie thru and pull it tight.a photo posted at the bwca site shows a boot with several ties holding the sole back on.
sewing awls are sort of big but a very large needle and heavy thread would work with any sort of pack,tent or clothing.
i have done a few small repairs on things like sleeping bags and canvas packs on trips and i found it's just a matter of taking your time and working slow with what you have...fishing pliers work great for pulling a big curved carpet needle thru canvas.

#265445 - 12/01/13 06:11 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Go with the Sewing Awl . A sailmakers palm is nice, but you still need things such as an awl or heavy needles in addition to the palm.

#265446 - 12/01/13 06:58 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
You could just carry the needle from the Speedy Sticher.Split the end of a stick about the thickness of a pinky finger and put the needle in that.Whip the end of the stick as you would on a rope to hold it in place.It isn't as nice as a Speedy sticher but it works and is a lot lighter.I carry two in my PSK for this very reason.....

BOATMAN
John

#265450 - 12/02/13 03:18 AM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Can anybody who has the Speedy Stitcher do me a favor and check the needle shank diameter? If it's 2 mm, then I can use conventional sewing machine needles in it as well as the specialty needles. I think the standard is actually 2.02 mm, but I don't have anything that will measure that precisely.

Thanks

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#265452 - 12/02/13 02:30 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My needle is about 2mm - I can't find my calipers to get a more accurate measurement, but I will bet that a needle 2.02 mm in diameter will work just fine. The needle is held by a screw down collet that should easily accommodate the extra width. My stitcher is a fairly old model and my not represent current production, like a great deal of my stuff. The needle is uniform diameter throughout, and isn't thicker at the butt end, like your illustration.

#265455 - 12/02/13 03:48 PM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Thank you very much. That is what I was hoping to hear.

#265507 - 12/05/13 05:19 AM Re: Heavyweight gear repair in field [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Just and update on my earlier queries. I just purchased a Speedy Stitcher sewing awl. It will take regular sewing machine needles, but it's a bit of a tight fit. I'll probably use it with a sewing machine needle and a darning needle the next time I have sew to sew on a patch or velcro.

The awl appears to come with a 22/200 sailmakers needle and size #207 thread (typically found in heavy use and outdoor products).

I'm not sure I would put one in a BOB or a backpack. But, it definitely belongs in a home kit, or in any medium or long term situation kit.

Edited by Mark_R (12/05/13 09:21 PM)
Edit Reason: Edit Reason: macrame needle disappointing with sewing thread.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 630 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
07:37 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.