Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265294 - 11/24/13 01:00 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, like I said, getting kinda crowded in the pickup.

Being as we only travel around town, 99% of the time during the winter, shelter is not such a big concern. On those occasions where we would leave town, quite a few provisional changes get made. We have some Rubbermaid tubs that have more robust kit in it, like tarps, sleeping bags, signaling devices, etc.

But one can get carried away with this sort of thing.

#265301 - 11/25/13 01:27 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Fyrediver Offline

As you're quite aware, even "just around town" can get pretty hazardous in the winter. Seattle, with it's mild weather, had a freeze a few years ago and EVERY road was blocked with stuck cars. Some of those people ended up sitting in their cars for 4 + hours while the roads were cleared and reopened. Others walked and just abandoned their cars in the roadway causing other problems. Even if you had a 4WD with 4 wheel chains you would have had a hard time getting around because of all the stuck vehicles.

Year round I keep a blanket & provisions but in winter I bulk up my kit just like you did. I agree on the shelter addition though

#265302 - 11/25/13 01:42 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: Fyrediver]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
As you're quite aware, even "just around town" can get pretty hazardous in the winter. Seattle, with it's mild weather, had a freeze a few years ago and EVERY road was blocked with stuck cars. Some of those people ended up sitting in their cars for 4 + hours while the roads were cleared and reopened. Others walked and just abandoned their cars in the roadway causing other problems. Even if you had a 4WD with 4 wheel chains you would have had a hard time getting around because of all the stuck vehicles.

In addition to the warm stuff, I have used my recovery strap more than once to get someone either back on the road, or to the shoulder so I could get by. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot to get a stuck vehicle moving, or at least out of the way. As you said though, when you have "ice-mageddon", and multiple cars blocking you in, you're pretty much SOL until a couple wreckers can clear things out. I've always carried at least one recovery strap, assuming also that one of these times... I might be the one off the road cry and maybe a kind soul with an appropriate vehicle will stop and I'll be able to hook up to them.

- Ron

#265303 - 11/25/13 03:03 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
This weekend I helped out a couple of guys who had a flat tire up at our local Mills fleet and farm. Not a terrible place to have a problem like that, but we had a rather unseasonable article cold blast come through yesterday and the wind chill values were running around zero.

These poor guys didn't have a jack or a spare tire with them, and the deflated tire had managed to pop the bead so no matter how much fix a flat they originally tried to pump into the tire before I showed up was going to help much.

I dug out the emergency jack from my truck and my 12v pump and once we got the truck up, the bead reformed up and we were able to get enough air into the tire to get them on their way.

One lesson I learned was to make sure you know where your emergency jack is located. I hadn't ever needed it before, and in my 2010 escape they had it squirreled away in a second little hidden compartment that I don't think I had ever actually looked in. In short, know what you have, and know where it's at. It took me much longer than it should have to find it, and when it's that cold, it's not a lot of fun.

Anyway, Good Samaritan deed done for the weekend. They were very appreciative of the help.

#265304 - 11/25/13 04:19 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great list and a timely reminder, Benjamin! Thanks! Good warm, layered clothing that's suitable for trekking in cold weather and will help keep you toasty if you decide to hunker down.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#265310 - 11/25/13 08:12 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I need to pay attention to this! Even though it's only November we've already dipped below zero F a couple times.

#265311 - 11/25/13 12:58 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I take this topic seriously.

A few years back, I was driving for work in a snowstorm in Northern Minnesota. I had a 4x4 Ram pickup. It was about 8:00PM, 1 degree, breezy, and snowing steadily when I hit a snowy curve in the road. The remote area road was lightly traveled, especially at night, and had been plowed extra-wide by the county truck to accommodate a heavy snowfall. The plowed shoulder was flat and looked like roadbed, but it was actually soft snow over a boggy area next to the narrow road. My truck got stuck, high-centered, and tipped at a 30 degree angle toward the ditch.

I was familiar with the area and knew no one would be coming by anytime soon. I didn't feel that staying in the truck was my best option, so I walked to a gas station I knew was at an intersection 3-4 miles down the road (actually turned out to be 7 miles). I had my deer-hunting clothes and boots with me, so I put them on over my lighter work clothes and made the long cold walk.

I now carry a more extensive kit including a heat source, wool blanket, a backpack, hot hands, a metal cup, etc.

A lesson learned the hard way.

#265315 - 11/25/13 04:21 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: Fyrediver]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Something that comes to mind; a roll of that mylar bubble wrap insulation. For about $25 you can get enough to build quite a shelter in a vehicle.

Great, now I will have to rip out the center console in the pickup for more space. LOL

#265317 - 11/25/13 04:35 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: Fyrediver]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Seattle is absolutely treacherous with ice. The grade on those hills precludes anything short of a ski lift to get to the top with.

Back when I worked there, it was a real pain. Combine that with rush hour and non-stop work on the 405 and a 15 mile drive could take 2 hours or more.

Denver was just as troubling, but more entertaining. One day we got a snow storm and everyone got sent home early. I caught a ride with two older detectives who worked downtown with me. These were old beat cops that had done their time on patrol and had done and seen it all. One of them had driven in and since they lived near me, we carpooled it home.

Needless to say, there were a lot of people who had no business being out on the road getting stuck and causing all sorts of traffic snarls. These two old cops were getting so worked up screaming at everyone, I just sat back, blended into the upholstery, and listened to them rant all the way home. I hadn't heard language like that since I had been aboard ship.

I guess when you've spent a lifetime dealing with driver stupidity, you run out of patience, compassion and understanding. Not too sure I would have wanted these two to stop and help were it me stuck in the snow. In most any other situation, these fellows were pretty cool to be around. But on that day, I was glad to get home and out of that mini van.

#265318 - 11/25/13 04:45 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I had a similar experience in the White Mountains of northern Arizona some years ago, and spent the night curled in the backseat of my VW beetle. Fortunately, I was on my way to a multi-day backcountry ski trip and I was fully equipped, including a nice warm down bag.

Parts of Arizona do a pretty good Minnesota imitation (without quite so many of those large bodies of water which are lakes in MN and stock tanks in AZ). The local saying is that there is nothing between Flagstaff, AZ and the North Pole except a barbed wire fence.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.