The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#265319 - 11/25/13 04:57 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Something that comes to mind; a roll of that mylar bubble wrap insulation. For about $25 you can get enough to build quite a shelter in a vehicle.

Great, now I will have to rip out the center console in the pickup for more space. LOL

I removed all the interior covering of my old truck and lines the body with that stuff *get the aluminum dict tape as it stays more permanent). There were days I drove to work in sub zero temperatures and realized I forgot to turn the heater on as I kept plenty warm.

I've always had the bench seat or split bench seat, never a console, guess it only comes with the higher end models.

#265359 - 11/26/13 01:15 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I think for most people, having a good winter kit in the vehicle for shelter in place scenarios is more common. There are not too many roads where there is no traffic and you would be forced to walk.

The more common scenario is where the highway is shutdown due to weather, traffic accident etc for hours on end and having the appropriate kit in the vehicle gives a lot more warm and comfort options. Also it would save from having to run the vehicle engine as much in an attempt to stay warm.

Case in point. This past weekend on Saturday, a major and only north-south highway was completely closed for 10 hours due to an accident with 2 fatalities. Depending on where you were stopped on the road, some were able to get turned around and head south back to the metro area or north to another town or Whistler Ski Village further north.

Others who stayed and waited in their vehicles for those long and cold hours where temps were just at the freezing level were probably wishing they had a decent winter kit in their vehicles.

John Lubbock

#265386 - 11/27/13 05:15 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
After nightfall, walking along the road may be dangerous. Better have goggles with clear lense and reflective clothing.

#265400 - 11/28/13 04:12 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was quite impressed with this winter vehicle Kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFrX73Le9II

Very impressive considering the fellow was from the south of England where is might get a couple of inches of snow once or twice every decade. grin

#265401 - 11/28/13 04:23 AM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, I'm getting pretty close to that level now.

#265408 - 11/28/13 02:53 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a comment on the Coleman multi fuel single burner stove (Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline)....years ago I not thinking gave away my double burner Coleman liquid fuel stove, and replaced it with lower maintenance propane appliances for hurricane supplies....the propane appliances work well, and I store 3 20# bulk tanks and transfer lines, but having a gasoline back up is a good idea... I store about 15gal of gasoline, and siphon access to the car.. I now have one of the single burner multi fuel Coleman stoves..

I think there is a pervasive counterintuitive thinking during shortages of fuel...namely, there are long gasoline lines, so it's not the best option for a fuel...conversely, there are reasons there are long gasoline lines

#265410 - 11/28/13 04:09 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: LesSnyder]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Plus out of fuel to the point it can't run doesn't mean it's out of fuel for a stove.

#265411 - 11/28/13 04:22 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: LesSnyder]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Try cooking with a bicycle sometime!

Fire good.

#265417 - 11/29/13 12:21 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Try cooking with a bicycle sometime!

Fire good.
I do that all the time when bike touring. Just toss an isobutane canister in the pannier, along with a burner head and a pot -basically the same rig is employed for backpacking. For car camping, I long ago switched to propane because it is simply more convenient and much less messy.

I still use "Boy Scout fire starter (sparingly!) when I absolutely, positively must get a wood camp fire started.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 326 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.