Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265277 - 11/23/13 01:45 AM Winter get home kit
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Since both me and the wife work less than ten miles from home, I made us up a couple of duffle bags in case we have to hoof it. Today we had freezing rain and got sent home early. So I figured if we had to walk home or somewhere else, or even if we have to spend extra time in vehicle stuck somewhere, a bag like this is going to be a big help.

The duffle contains:

1 pair insulated ski overpants
1 pair heavily insulated snow boots (la crosse style)
1 pair synthetic thermal underwear
1 wool blend undershirt
2 pairs heavy wool socks
1 quilted heavy holofil type coat with hood
1 waterproof synthetic balaclava
1 heavy wool hat
1 pair undergloves
1 pair heavy snow mittens
1 pair heavy snow gloves
1 wool-synthetic blend scarf
1 set of foul weather goggles
1 multi LED flashlight
1 dozen sealed handwarmers

This is just one of a few different bags of stuff in the cars. Another bag contains guns, ammo, food, knives, firemaking supplies, more flashlights, and water filter. Another contains first aid and so on.

Thank God I have a crew cab.

#265284 - 11/23/13 12:35 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Nice kit. 10 miles doesn't sound that far, but, it still could be too far. Have you considered adding a shelter to the get home bag....in case you start out walking and for whatever reason (twisted ankle, etc.), you can't make it. If your luck is like mine, that would only happen in the worst possible weather.

#265286 - 11/23/13 04:42 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

10 miles in snow conditions could take 5-10 hours and it may be at night. In almost all conditions, its better to wait with your truck.

#265287 - 11/23/13 05:16 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

snowshoes!!!!

#265288 - 11/23/13 06:00 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Next on the list, but the pickup is getting a bit full. whistle

#265289 - 11/23/13 06:02 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Either or. The gear allows you to choose. If it is terribly nasty, then we would shelter in place.

#265290 - 11/23/13 06:16 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: bws48]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I've got some of those bivy sacks and HD lawn and leaf bags. I would like something more like a 4 season tent, but all in good time I guess.

Our route home takes us through town, with a number of facilities we could egress to if need be. There are a couple parks along the route to E&E through if necessary. Worst case might have us overnighting in a park.

#265291 - 11/23/13 06:49 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My preference would be for a kit to make me comfortable while waiting in the car, not while leaving the car. Sleeping bag, adequate clothing, a little food, signalling devices (cellphone, mirror, whistle, etc.), some way to generate a little heat - maybe one of those moveable wick Nuwick candles (used with appropriate ventilation of course). The chances of me deciding to leave the car to wander off into the snow are about zilch. I don't put myself into deserted areas far from civilization in the middle of winter. Some people have to, and then I think it would be good to have gear for both scenarios: stay-with-car and leave-car. I still think the most prudent choice the vast majority of the time would be stay-with-car though.

Most of the stuff in your kit would be perfectly appropriate for a stay-with-car scenario too. I would add a sleeping bag, an insulating pad, and a tarp & paracord for additional shelter. Duct tape would be good for covering windows broken in an accident, etc.

#265292 - 11/23/13 07:27 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: haertig]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: haertig
My preference would be for a kit to make me comfortable while waiting in the car, not while leaving the car. Sleeping bag, adequate clothing, a little food, signalling devices (cellphone, mirror, whistle, etc.), some way to generate a little heat - maybe one of those moveable wick Nuwick candles (used with appropriate ventilation of course). The chances of me deciding to leave the car to wander off into the snow are about zilch. I don't put myself into deserted areas far from civilization in the middle of winter. Some people have to, and then I think it would be good to have gear for both scenarios: stay-with-car and leave-car. I still think the most prudent choice the vast majority of the time would be stay-with-car though.

Most of the stuff in your kit would be perfectly appropriate for a stay-with-car scenario too. I would add a sleeping bag, an insulating pad, and a tarp & paracord for additional shelter. Duct tape would be good for covering windows broken in an accident, etc.

Slide off the road and the car may no longer be a good shelter, depending on how and where it ends up.

#265293 - 11/23/13 07:29 PM Re: Winter get home kit [Re: benjammin]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I suppose you have traction chains, shovel, flares etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 326 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.