The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#265308 - 11/25/13 08:09 AM Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I suppose this isn't "new" but it's the first time I've run across them, so I thought I'd post it. I was at Wal-Mart tonite picking up some crap (soda, a few auto related items, etc) and I found some cool Duck brand duct tape sheets. It's an 8.5" x 11" sheet of Duck brand duct tape, one large piece on a big sheet of wax paper. IIRC the price was $1.88, not a terrible deal. My back-of-the-envelope calculations shows this is almost four feet of tape if you cut it 2" wide like the stuff you find on the rolls. Now looking around online for the wax-paper-backed strips it seems like a four foot chunk that's kind of accordian folded for portable use is usually around $5 or so, so this is a pretty decent price.

My plan is to cut it into strips roughly 2" wide to pack into survival/first aid kits.

Why not reroll it on a card? Well, I do that sometimes but I've noticed that with many brands this degrades the tape, and the re-rolled product often doesn't stick as well as it does new off the roll. The stuff that comes on wax paper backing or an original roll doesn't have this problem. For the record I'll say that some brands are better than others, and Gorilla tape is still very usefully sticky when rerolled. But better not to do it if you can help it. Since I've found that I often only need 6" to 8" when I need tape I think this stuff cut into strips will work well.

#265313 - 11/25/13 03:01 PM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Large sheets of duct tape? Those disasters will never know what hit 'em!

Broken windows is the first application that comes to mind...

#265314 - 11/25/13 04:00 PM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
My plan is to cut it into strips roughly 2" wide to pack into survival/first aid kits.

Why not reroll it on a card? Well, I do that sometimes but I've noticed that with many brands this degrades the tape, and the re-rolled product often doesn't stick as well as it does new off the roll.
I've never been a fan of re-rolling duct tape, for the reasons you note. However, REI sells small rolls of SOL brand duct tape. They are tight little rolls that pack nicely. I keep a few around, in my field repair kit and what not. They have come in very handy on several occasions. The only problem I've found is that it is tough to get the last bit unrolled. SOL duct tape

Recently I noticed that Lowe's sells Gorilla Tape in a small (1" X 30 ft) roll. It is a bit larger than the duct tape rolls noted above, but still a handy size.

#265316 - 11/25/13 04:28 PM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Large sheets of duct tape? Those disasters will never know what hit 'em!

Broken windows is the first application that comes to mind...

Or preventing the windows from breaking. Might be a good thing to apply before a storm, and should clean off fairly easily.

#265327 - 11/25/13 06:06 PM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Thumbs up for the SOL brand rolls from REI. I much prefer durapore tape over duct tape for wrapping wounds, but I keep SOL rolls in FAKs and hiking kits as the what's left tape of choice. Perfect for taping up young Tenderfoots (literally) before their first 'big' Scout hike - "Mr. Lono, why are my feet silver, what's all this tape for??"

I'll have to think a bit on how you can contour an 8x11 sheet of duct tape over size 8 feet - it might make an even more effective cover for young (and old) Scout feet.

#265357 - 11/26/13 01:01 AM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I suppose this isn't "new" but it's the first time I've run across them, so I thought I'd post it. I was at Wal-Mart tonite picking up some crap (soda, a few auto related items, etc) and I found some cool Duck brand duct tape sheets. It's an 8.5" x 11" sheet of Duck brand duct tape, one large piece on a big sheet of wax paper. IIRC the price was $1.88, not a terrible deal. My back-of-the-envelope calculations shows this is almost four feet of tape if you cut it 2" wide like the stuff you find on the rolls. Now looking around online for the wax-paper-backed strips it seems like a four foot chunk that's kind of accordian folded for portable use is usually around $5 or so, so this is a pretty decent price.

Why not reroll it on a card? Well, I do that sometimes but I've noticed that with many brands this degrades the tape, and the re-rolled product often doesn't stick as well as it does new off the roll. The stuff that comes on wax paper backing or an original roll doesn't have this problem. For the record I'll say that some brands are better than others, and Gorilla tape is still very usefully sticky when rerolled. But better not to do it if you can help it. Since I've found that I often only need 6" to 8" when I need tape I think this stuff cut into strips will work well.

Why not just purchase this duct tape which is already cut, on peel off backing, is 6 feet in length, is stored in a tough plastic sheath and retails for $2 .00 - $4.00 depending on where you purchase.

I have carried these for years in my various packs and in many different use cases, I have seen no real difference in stickiness as compared to the rolls of tape.

John Lubbock

#265362 - 11/26/13 02:39 AM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Why not just purchase this duct tape which is already cut, on peel off backing, is 6 feet in length, is stored in a tough plastic sheath and retails for $2 .00 - $4.00 depending on where you purchase.

I have carried these for years in my various packs and in many different use cases, I have seen no real difference in stickiness as compared to the rolls of tape.

I can't find any of that stuff locally, nor a good price for it online (once shipping is included). Where are you getting it?

#265363 - 11/26/13 02:53 AM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One source would be REI. They have had a $50 minimum purchase, but looking at their website just now, it states "free shipping,no minimum." They also carry something called "Tenacious tape". A small roll is 5 bucks: http://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape

#265364 - 11/26/13 03:01 AM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

I can't find any of that stuff locally, nor a good price for it online (once shipping is included). Where are you getting it?

I am in Canada and this tape can be purchased at many stores here that cater to the outdoor crowd, meaning everyone from campers to hikers to mountaineers to fishing/hunting fans.

I am sure if you checked on Ebay or other online outlets, you may find it a decent purchase and shipping cost.

John Lubbock

#265365 - 11/26/13 04:04 AM Re: Duck Tape sheets at Wal-Mart [Re: Phaedrus]
LED Offline
Veteran

I roll my own mini duct tape rolls and stash them in all the kits. I use aquarium hose tubing for the center. Rolls easier that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 630 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.