Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
What's the point of setting it aside if it's too difficult for most people to see it? The one in particular that comes to mind it Chaco Canyon. It's shortest access route is 13 miles of BAD dirt road. Note that's bad for dirt road. The park's website advises that the roads can be impassable after inclement weather.
And what is wrong with keeping a few areas which are difficult and challenging to reach? You mention "one in particular that comes to mind". So there is one that is a pain to get to. Bummer! Yet as hikermor so well puts it there are numerous others which are accesable by everyone. Must we make every inch of every park accessable by road? And, as others have noted, if too many people trample an area, it tends to destroy the very things that attract us to those areas.

There are plenty of parks, preserves, and other areas of all sorts that anyone who is still breathing can reach. I strongly believe that there should be at least some areas which are left as much as possible in their wild state. I agree with hikermor that the NPS, USFS, and various other agencies generally do a pretty good job of striking a balance between keeping areas that are accessable to all, and keeping a few areas which are left alone and remote. Looking at the big picture, the amount of true wilderness in the US is actually quite small (and it gets smaller every year). Let's keep the few scraps of wilderness we have left! The people that don't want to make any effort to get there have numerous areas they can visit easily.