Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265081 - 11/14/13 05:21 PM Nice work if you can get it...
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
My kid spent the summer doing a survey of the salmon population in Prince William Sound Alaska. Nice office, don't you think?

#265087 - 11/14/13 06:24 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
It's rough work, but somebody has to do it!

Prince William Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the universe as we know it.

#265094 - 11/14/13 10:40 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The salmon must be awfully big if they need shotguns. Oh, wait..Could it be be that humans aren't the only creatures conducting a "survey of the salmon population" in the region?

It certainly is a beautiful - almost as good as the Channel Islands....

#265095 - 11/14/13 11:26 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The salmon must be awfully big if they need shotguns. Oh, wait..Could it be be that humans aren't the only creatures conducting a "survey of the salmon population" in the region?
The thing one always has to keep in mind in Alaska is that we humans are not necessarily at the very top of the food chain!

I'm highly skeptical of the last part of your statement. However, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Channel Islands, so I will reserve final judgement on your claim. smile

#265099 - 11/15/13 12:19 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I'm highly skeptical of the last part of your statement. However, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Channel Islands, so I will reserve final judgement on your claim. smile

For that matter,I have never been in Prince William Sound, although it may have been fly over country on my one trip to Anchorage. And possibly my attitude is just a wee bit provincial - "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...."

#265101 - 11/15/13 02:55 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Ha, I'll be there in about a month -- if work lets me take off long enough to take a boat and hike around in all that beauty! Maybe I'll even see some whales on the way there. It will be fun to be somewhere relatively warm in December.

#265105 - 11/15/13 04:46 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Very likely there will be whales - extensive pods of dolphins are almost a certainty. We may be getting winter storms by then, but the very best weather comes in the winter, in between the storm fronts.

But the islands aren't very civilized.....

#265108 - 11/15/13 06:13 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Prince William Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the universe as we know it.

There are lots of beautiful places left in the world, but eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have. Hopefully Prince William Sound will remain spectacularly beautiful simply because of the inhospitable weather and difficult access.

I have a soft spot for Cyprus,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxIPyriX9U

But over the years the island has catered too much for tourism and the corrupt property speculators.

A few miles away from where I live for example.

http://www.thesidlaws.co.uk/fields-and-countryside.html

Creative landscape photography will only bring the scourge of the tourist when published on the Internet.

BTW thats where the Romans built their pontoon bridge during the 3rd Roman Invasion to cross the River Tay. wink Otherwise known as the arse hole of the World in the film 'Centurion' laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/15/13 08:01 AM)

#265113 - 11/15/13 01:04 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

There are lots of beautiful places left in the world, but eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have. Hopefully Prince William Sound will remain spectacularly beautiful simply because of the inhospitable weather and difficult access.

That is why we have national parks and comparable preserves. Competently planned and administered (key phrase), they withstand the ravages of unbridled tourism quite well. Difficult access helps a lot, as well.

#265120 - 11/15/13 07:15 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

That is why we have national parks and comparable preserves. Competently planned and administered (key phrase), they withstand the ravages of unbridled tourism quite well. Difficult access helps a lot, as well.
Not to stray too far into that cess pool that starts with "P" and ends with "olitics", but even the parks and preserves are often under intense pressure. You say "difficult access", and someone else will say "we need to build a new road".

I've mostly poked some very gentle humor at the "civilization" discussion on another thread. But getting serious for a moment, I think one mark of a modern civilized society is the preservation of a few scraps of beautiful and wild areas. Enough of the population of a civilized society needs to agree that leaving some wildlands are important for future generations, or else Am_Fear_Liath Mor's comment that "eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have" will come true for every place. I hope people think about that.

Now I will get off my soap box, and return you to your regular programing.

#265126 - 11/16/13 04:53 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Difficult access helps a lot, as well.

What's the point of setting it aside if it's too difficult for most people to see it? The one in particular that comes to mind it Chaco Canyon. It's shortest access route is 13 miles of BAD dirt road. Note that's bad for dirt road. The park's website advises that the roads can be impassable after inclement weather.

#265136 - 11/16/13 02:53 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Only thirteen miles of dirt road? Things have improved since I worked there in the late 60s (that's 1960s). As I recall, it was more like thirty miles or so of not always well maintained road, heading either north or south.

Things like dirt roads,or actually having to hike, rather than driving up to the attraction, tend to weed out casual visitors or those just making use of the restrooms (not that there is anything wrong with using restrooms). Those folks will always have Mesa Verde, with its paved road and developed facilities - basically more civilized than Chaco. Working the information desk at Mesa Verde, I had a visitor who said they had fifteen minutes to see Mesa Verde, what was available. I advised them to go have a quick cup of coffee and maybe a fast tour through the museum.

Actually if you want to see the best preserved cliff dwelling, in the most scenic situation, in all the National Parks, you want to visit Keet Seel. Be prepared for an overnight stay after a minimum eight mile hike.

There is a perpetual tension between preservation and development, and in my biased opinion, the National Park Service mostly gets it right. But the proper amount of development is always up for discussion - there are those who would build chair lifts to the summit of Denali, if they could.

#265138 - 11/16/13 03:19 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"What's the point of setting it aside if it's too difficult for most people to see it?"
What's the point of letting floods of people in to ruin it? Yellowstone National Park can be so crowded in the summer it resembles a New York City park.

#265139 - 11/16/13 03:43 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
What's the point of setting it aside if it's too difficult for most people to see it? The one in particular that comes to mind it Chaco Canyon. It's shortest access route is 13 miles of BAD dirt road. Note that's bad for dirt road. The park's website advises that the roads can be impassable after inclement weather.
And what is wrong with keeping a few areas which are difficult and challenging to reach? You mention "one in particular that comes to mind". So there is one that is a pain to get to. Bummer! Yet as hikermor so well puts it there are numerous others which are accesable by everyone. Must we make every inch of every park accessable by road? And, as others have noted, if too many people trample an area, it tends to destroy the very things that attract us to those areas.

There are plenty of parks, preserves, and other areas of all sorts that anyone who is still breathing can reach. I strongly believe that there should be at least some areas which are left as much as possible in their wild state. I agree with hikermor that the NPS, USFS, and various other agencies generally do a pretty good job of striking a balance between keeping areas that are accessable to all, and keeping a few areas which are left alone and remote. Looking at the big picture, the amount of true wilderness in the US is actually quite small (and it gets smaller every year). Let's keep the few scraps of wilderness we have left! The people that don't want to make any effort to get there have numerous areas they can visit easily.

#265141 - 11/16/13 04:30 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
Must we make every inch of every park accessable by road?

Absolutely not. Having a trail within the park rated extreme? Dandy. I know my limits. Same thing to reach the valley/clearing/old settlement where they are repopulating the Smokeys with elk. IIRC it's several miles of one lane gravel road. I'm not referring to a particular area (i.e. a peak, trail, valley, etc.) That is just to get to the visitor's center of the park. It's been several years since I was there but what I'm remembering is that the roads after the visitor's center are either good gravel or paved.

#265142 - 11/16/13 05:05 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Thirteen is the shortest (northern). The other two (southern) are 20 & 30 miles. The maintenance has apparently gotten worse since then. Their description of the southern routes is now "Both routes can vary from very rough to impassable."

I don't have a problem with protecting sites with isolation. Isolating the entire park including visitor's center is another matter. I can easily see isolating parts of Chaco Canyon, especially the petroglyphs. I can see some joker deciding to add to them if they didn't.

#265143 - 11/16/13 05:17 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

One interesting thing about this is that Chaco itself is under the management of the NPS, while the roads leading to the park are the responsibility of the state of New Mexico. The roads inside the park are paved. Why the state would not improve the roads leading to a tourist attraction in a region where tourism is a major industry is a good question. Note that surrounding population is mostly Navajo. Back in the sixties, the word was that the local trader just outside Chaco opposed improving the roads, making the locals dependent upon him for goods and services. The gentleman is question was one of the most despicable individuals I have ever encountered.

BTW,if you think the roads at Chaco are bad,wait until you see the roads at Channel Islands. They in turn are far easier than what people drive on inside Canyon de Chelly (I hesitate to call them "roads."). And we haven't even reached Alaska yet. The Superintendent at Gates of the Arctic NP told me there are areas within that park that no human in recorded history has ever visited. Definitely uncivilized, even barbaric!

Edited by hikermor (11/16/13 05:53 PM)

#265145 - 11/16/13 05:43 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would like to point out that these decisions are not made in secret by faceless guv'ment burrowcrats. Nowadays there is a fairly elaborate public meeting and review process, so if you have an interest in an area orin the general concept, participate, either by submitting written comments or attending and appearing at a public meeting.

This is on my mind, because I am planning to attend such a meeting dealing with the management plan and wilderness status for Channel Islands National Park early next month. I expect the meetings will be well attended and that everyone will get a chance to express themselves.

Personally,I am a bit conflicted. I am a fan of wilderness, and wilderness is where I prefer to taketrips. Proposed wilderness boundaries in the park will close some of the roads that have provided access to important research areas, so that will mean tougher access...So be it!

#265147 - 11/16/13 06:48 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I would like to point out that these decisions are not made in secret by faceless guv'ment burrowcrats. Nowadays there is a fairly elaborate public meeting and review process, so if you have an interest in an area orin the general concept, participate, either by submitting written comments or attending and appearing at a public meeting.

True, but a lot of times you are stuck with decisions that were made years or decades ago and haven't been revisited. If it were a park that is a lot closer to me it would get commented on long and loud.

Quote:
Proposed wilderness boundaries in the park will close some of the roads that have provided access to important research areas, so that will mean tougher access...So be it!

Will the roads be maintained for park service and firefighting? Push for some sort of research exemption. If you are doing research that the park service could benefit from they should have no problem writing you a waiver for access.

#265151 - 11/16/13 07:14 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
The roads inside the park are paved. Why the state would not improve the roads leading to a tourist attraction in a region where tourism is a major industry is a good question.

Might be in part to preserve them through isolation. With the current condition of the roads only someone that WANTS to see it will make the trip.

Sounds like road conditions are largely a matter of what you are used to. The worst you generally find around here are gravel or forest service fire roads. The road into Chaco Canyon reminded me of a stretch in West Virginia after passing a sign that read "state maintenance ends."

#265153 - 11/16/13 09:17 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

At what time of the year were you there? Especially when wet after summer thunderstorms, the roads get torn up rather quickly by the relatively heavy traffic. The roads are wet during the winter during warm spells, but traffic is lighter and often everything is frozen solid.

Somehow I doubt that New Mexico worries very much about preserving ruins managed by another outfit. Having worked there, I can assure you I would prefer to see at least a light duty paved road (getting groceries is much easier). When traffic gets heavy enough, pavement is less environmentally impacting than a graded dirt or gravel road.

#265157 - 11/16/13 11:39 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

deleted to move to right place in thread

Edited by UTAlumnus (11/16/13 11:40 PM)

#265158 - 11/16/13 11:40 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Dead of summer about the fourth of July.

#265160 - 11/17/13 02:46 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
..... The maintenance has apparently gotten worse since then.
One other point that hasn't been mentioned aside from who is responsible (state or NPS) for road maintenence, is the basic issue of chronic underfunding of the National Park System. I don't have the figures immediately at hand, but for quite a few years now there has been very inadequate maintenence funds for the NPS. Many (most?) park units have a big backlog of defered maintenence of roads and other visitor facilities. And this was the case before sequestration. There is the old saying that "you get what you pay for". I find it ironic that when I visit parks such as Denali, I sometimes hear visitors grumbling and complaining about the inadequacy of this or that service or facility. Yet when it comes time to cut budgets, parks (local, state, and federal), are often amoung the first targets.

#265162 - 11/17/13 04:09 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Big +1

Great Smokey Mountains NP just repaved the Cades Cove loop road that probably sees more traffic every year than some entire parks. I don't recall it ever getting more than patched before this in the last 20 years. There were areas where half the road had deteriorated to where it would be considered gravel sub-grade (potholes got bigger and deeper every year). They might have been able to continue patching it IF they could have stayed on top of it. Budget and unexpected higher priority emergency repairs probably prevented that.

#265168 - 11/17/13 02:56 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I agree with AKSAR about cuts in maintenance, although I am clearly biased. When it is time to cut the budget, routine maintenance is often first on the chopping block. You can get away with that game for a little while, but it will eventually come back to bite you. Responsibility for highway maintenance varies with each park - sometimes it is the park itself, and sometimes it is the state or county, etc.

One thing to keep in mind about money spent to run and maintain National Parks, is that many parks generate work and jobs in the surrounding area. Several states offered to provide the money to run several parks during the recent shutdown. They weren't being philanthropic - it was just good business.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.