haertig

you raised a good question. if someone is caught in wet stormy conditions in a forest that has been soaked in rain - how do they start a fire and survive? i bet the number of survival instructors who could do that using just primitive methods is only a few in the whole country. that's a tough situation. once you get behind the ballgame, the danger of wet clothes, hypothermia, and inability to start a fire becomes a major risk to survival.

what we learn to do - is what hikermor said. you learn by experience to NEVER get into such a critical situation. even the N. American Indians would carry a small amount of tinder if they knew a storm was approaching ... and often anyways.

my solution is as follows:

1. I can make very good tinder just by using lint from the dryer at home. lint burns extremely well, it can be compacted, and has almost no weight. so I carry some if fire starting is an issue. I ALWAYS have some lint or professional tinder in my backpack.

2. to make sure the fire will start, I also have a combustible liquid. in my case, I will always have "Jungle Juice" on me (100% DEET) because I use it as a bug repellant and never leave home without it. it also burns well. so a few drops of DEET on the lint will make a very effective way of starting a fire from a spark.

3. I carry emergency matches always, but also have my magnesium fire starter as well. both work fine with good tinder.

4. If I was in the woods and knew a storm was coming, then before the rain came I would gather small sticks for kindling and a few large pieces of wood. I would wrap them in a plastic trash bag (to stay dry) and tie them to the outside of my backpack. That way I am 100% positive I can get a good fire going - enough to warm myself while I change into dry clothes, make a good hot drink, and feed myself a good hot meal. Those things - new dry clothes, warm drink and hot food, will turn the situation around completely.

In reality, experienced woodsmen will start this whole process well before the rain ever arrives. They will already have chosen their campsite for the night and they will have built a good shelter - before the raindrops fall. They will have stacked enough wood for a good long fire, and put all their essential gear (incl. clothes) in a safe dry place. That is why the experienced people don't get into trouble out there.

The key is to stay AHEAD of trouble.
Don't let trouble get ahead of you.

BTW, I do agree that 1-day survival courses that go into a lot of detail on particular topics would be very useful to a lot of people. I include myself on that list.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (10/21/13 03:20 AM)