Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Any datacenter with wet pipes in it will be compromised by leaks. If the fire code requires sprinklers rather than FM-200, see if your fire marshal will allow dry pipe systems. If that isn't possible, seek a better location for your datacenter.

The flaws with halon suppression systems caused a lot of data centers to go with sprinklers. These days dry sprinklers are pretty common and very reliable. they are very common in unheated spaces like warehouses.

BTW, the reason sprinklers leak is because they use the thinnest pipe they can find to save money. It is specially made and only used by the sprinkler industry.

the thing is if your sprinkler goes off it does not matter much if it is water or not. you have a huge problem that is only solved by having a redundant data center several hours away.

unless you are a really large IT center, it is often very cost effective to just rent capacity from a commercial data center, especially for your backup needs.

Bob