Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#264053 - 10/06/13 04:14 AM Re: Foot Care [Re: LED]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hm! Interesting. Thanks, Quietly_Learning. I had never heard of using tincture of benzoin for bandaging.

Just goes to show: there's always someone hanging around this forum who can provide you with practical information on some obscure but important topic. Gotta love it.

#264073 - 10/07/13 12:35 PM Re: Foot Care [Re: LED]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks for hte post. I bring a roll of the plastic 'surgical' tape from my office; it sticks great when needed.

Fortunately, I'm the type of guy that wears regular white cotton crew socks on a hike and have no problems. A week long backpack might net 1-2.

Edited by MDinana (10/07/13 12:36 PM)

#264074 - 10/07/13 12:54 PM Re: Foot Care [Re: LED]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I bought a role of Leukotape P and tried it out. I was on a short run (4 miles) Saturday and got my feet completely soaked, which is not a recipe for happiness. Sunday morning I stuck my running shoes in the dryer and looked over my feet. I have a recently-healed blister on one toe, and when my feet get wet my heels are the first place that I get hotspots and blisters, so I taped up the toe and my heels with the Leukotape P.

After 11 miles, my feet felt great, no blisters, and the tape hadn't budged. It came off leaving a small amount of easily-removed residue near where the edges had been. The smooth surface of the tape didn't irritate my other toes where they were rubbing against it.

So for me, the Leukotape P is less expensive and works way better than moleskin. It also holds better than the trainer's tape I've been using.

#264082 - 10/07/13 08:19 PM Re: Foot Care [Re: MDinana]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Fortunately, I'm the type of guy that wears regular white cotton crew socks on a hike and have no problems. A week long backpack might net 1-2.
I am in the same boat. I have worn white cotton crew socks for years. I used to run a lot of miles many, many years ago in the orbiters. Never had a problem. I have heard of others whose feet would be like someone ran them over a cheese grater. Never figured it out.

#264089 - 10/08/13 03:36 PM Re: Foot Care [Re: MoBOB]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I am in the same boat. I have worn white cotton crew socks for years. I used to run a lot of miles many, many years ago in the orbiters. Never had a problem. I have heard of others whose feet would be like someone ran them over a cheese grater. Never figured it out.

Me neither. I tried the 2-sock method ONCE. Blister City. Screw that. Most of my camping as a kid was w/ surplus or imitation Vietnam style jungle boots. Not exactly cushy.

Sometimes if it's cold I'll wear a pair of REI wool socks or smart wool or something. Even that though is a bit much for where I've lived (aside from Philly and Detroit in winter).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.