Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26370 - 03/30/04 04:22 AM Kayakers saved by a whistle
Anonymous
Unregistered

It points out the importance of a whistle. Probably saved the searchers some time.

http://www.pressconnects.com/today/topstories/stories/to032904s78034.shtml

#26371 - 03/30/04 07:06 AM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Skater:

I went directly to the website pressconnects to get the story. Apparently the story link (URL) directs you to a 404 error.

Interesting note about the couple being proficent outdoorsman and able to summon aide without having to spend all night. Also noted was the mention of shelter, but no mention of a fire. A lesson learned indeed!

Take care,
Stargazer
ASAP= Always Suspicious, Always Prepared

#26372 - 03/30/04 11:15 AM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Here in Western PA, We've just had a Kayaker Rescued from some Quite Swift Current, on one of the Main Tributaries of our Allegheny River. (Essentially the Upper Portion of the Mighty Ohio.) A Convenient Midstream Tree Branch, was his *Only* Salvation! (The Tree being some Entangled Debris)

BTW, When our Rivers Run Swift from Rainy Spells and Floods!, -I've More than Once Seen Whole Trees, Swiftly Flowing Down Midstream, -One After the Other! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]stargazer[/email]

#26373 - 03/30/04 02:17 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Not knowing the whole story, I would say that the kayaker was very lucky. Many debris piles or “strainers” result in victim entrapment and subsequent drowning. Pete

#26374 - 03/30/04 10:14 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Years ago, not sure but likely 25, there were two young men tubing on the Susquehanna River in the Binghamton, NY area.
They went over Rock Bottom dam and got stuck in the eddys(?). They remained in their tubes and were for the most part unhurt, just trapped about 100 feet from shore.
The local fire department sent out a 12 foot boat with two firemen in it to "rescue" the kids; they wore lifejackets but they were not tied on.
Result, two firemen drowned when the boat capsized.
The kids were pulled to safety while the river was dragged. The local FD was distraught at the idea of the FD lifevests trapped in the eddys(?) at the base of the damn, a visual reminder of their lost friends. They sent the same boat out to pick them up. Again, the same boat capsized and another fireman drowned. (Not 100% sure, but I think there was a total of 3 firemen lost in this rescue attempt, the kids were pulled to safety).

Nothing beats good training, good equipment and common sense.

#26375 - 03/30/04 10:29 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
joblot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Were they trapped upside down, and somehow got into the airspace in their canoes?
I ask because when I was young and foolish I used to go sea kayaking. Part of the fun was "surfing" in to caves, but "breaking out" well before the cave wall.
It was a well known fact that if you miss-timed it, and got caught in the standing wave against the cave wall, you were as good as dead. You are trapped by the incomming waves, as well as being dashed against the wall. Your rescuers are helpless for the same reasons - they to will fall into the wave, capsize and drown, the force of the wave holding them under.
Strange story - lucky boys - rather foolish rescue attempt. (all due respect, but if it was similar circumstances they should have known better)

#26376 - 03/30/04 10:55 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
Anonymous
Unregistered

They were actually in large inner tubes from a truck or other sort of vehicle.
Sat calmly while the firemen tried to rescue them. I think the boat was the last resort, but proved to be a fatal choice.

#26377 - 03/31/04 12:00 AM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Very True! I've recently Read about this in a Book. Underwater and Invisible Branches, Submerged Metal Cage Bars, Etc.! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]paramedicpete[/email]

#26378 - 03/31/04 02:47 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
This was most likely what is known as a low-head dam or “drowning machine”. They can be anywhere from 6 inches to 20 feet in height. They are designed to create a downward force at the interface of the water and dam, as well as a back flow. This essentially forces debris or a victim down, as they come up, the back flow forces them back towards the dam, where the cycle continues. The main purpose is to force debris such as tree limbs and logs down to the base of the dam where many have large projections to break-up the debris.

Due to numerous deaths of would be rescuers, many new, highly advanced techniques have been developed to allow boat teams to approach without entering the eddy/back flow area of these low-head dams. The techniques are still very risky and require extensive training to develop and maintain proficiency. Pete

#26379 - 03/31/04 05:15 PM Re: Kayakers saved by a whistle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting, a science unto itself.
Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 607 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.