Dagny,
Though I haven't passed though there for at least a decade, my recollection is that Cannon Beach is indeed a very nice little town. However, as your link idicates, it is seriously threatened by a Cascadia Tsunami. For more information (to make you even more paranoid), you might want to read Sandi Doughton's book "Full Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest". In one chapter she talks with a local emergency services person about the tsunami risk at Cannon Beach. To quote from a review in the Oregonian:
Quote:
If ever a book risked being labeled "unsuitable for beach reading," it might well be "Full Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest." Author Sandi Doughton surveys the science and implications of the mega-earthquake certain to strike along the 750-mile Cascadia Subduction Zone fault that parallels the coastline of Oregon and Washington, and the tsunami it will send into our shores.
--------------snip---------------
The outlook for the coast, where vulnerability to ground-shaking and inundation is described as a "mirror image" of Japan's, is grim. Doughton's account of the tsunami vulnerability shared by Cannon Beach, Seaside and Washington's Long Beach Peninsula supplies ample reason for every weekend visitor to seek evacuation routes and be prepared to move -- quickly and on foot -- to the nearest high ground in the event the ground shakes.
If you enjoy hiking, and haven't already done it, I would recommend next time you visit Cannon Beach you make the hike up to the top of Tillamook Head. It is a very pleaseant walk, and far above the ocean on the top of Tillamook Head would be an excellent point from which to view an incoming tsunami. wink