In my younger days, I was never without a knife. Like all of the other guys in grade school, I carried a pocket knife which was used at recess for mumbley peg or whittling. In my teen years I switched to a belt carried SAK, and eventually to a series of Buck 110's, some of which I broke by prying or hammering. As I recall, I purchased a big Western W36 fixed blade for hunting in my mid-20's.

I still have my Buck 110, and Buck 112 but sadly, they reside in my gun safe now. In my opinion, their best use is where a fixed blade would draw unwanted attention, but a bigger knife is still necessary, such as mobile hunting situations where you expect to go into town. Some of the guys I deer hunt with use big folders on their belt to avoid the clanging or poking of a fixed blade on their deer stand seat. I keep a fixed blade Bear MGC in my pack for deer dressing. It grips better than a folder, and is easier to get clean after field use.

I love my old Bucks, but they live at home now. This thread may inspire me to break them out this fall and take them into the woods for old times sake.

As far as EDC, I am never without my Gen 1 Leatherman Wave (not at work), and my Vic Classic. When I am in the back woods, I usually carry one of my Beckers on my pack.