Originally Posted By: MDinana
Well.... it cuts. Therefore it has a role.

Good point smile. A knife is absolutely a useful tool on its own.

In daily life, I've never needed pliers. I've never needed tweezers. I've rarely needed an eyeglass screwdriver (which the tip of a knife can do). I've never needed a full size screwdriver (which is in my toolbox at home, or in my car). Or a saw. Or a file. Or a bit driver. What the heck are you doing where you use a multi tool so often?

The advantage I see in a multi-tool or SAK for an EDC tool is that while I have full size, dedicated tools, I don't need to go get them to get a quick job done; its more a matter of convenience than necessity (in an urban environment). So, around town, I'll often use my EDC tool to do quick repair jobs, opening battery compartments, etc. rather than going to get a dedicated tool from my toolbox or vehicle.

So why carry the extra weight and bulk?

An additional point is that it doesn't always add that much more weight or bulk. For example, my Skeletool is pretty close in overall dimensions & weight to your Kershaw Blur; the Skeletool is 4" closed, and 5.0 oz while the Blur is 4.5" closed and 4.2 oz. The trade off is that for a similarly sized tool, the single-blade folder gives you a bigger blade than the multi-tool (e.g., the Skeletool's 2.6" blade vs. the Blur's 3.375" blade) while the multi-tool provides more tools.

I guess this is my main hang-up, I am finding that the additional tools provide more utility and over-all value for a pocket knife than I believe can be derived from having a longer knife blade alone.