Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#262906 - 08/27/13 01:21 AM Re: bacpacboy's First Solo Twig Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Parenting is a tricky thing. The moment that child is born you're smacked with an intense sense of responsibility for them. When I was pregnant the first time, a friend told me that it's like having your heart walking outside of your body. (In my case, he's running full tilt.) There's excitement, hope, fear, anxiety, and a unending cocktail of emotions that never seem to let up. We all handle it differently. I do not want to be a helicopter parent, but I do want to keep them safe. Personally, finding the balance between holding on and protecting them, and letting them and risk getting hurt or worse, is hard sometimes.

For me personally, it comes down to understanding the risks. What we don't understand scares us, so I try to be involved and learn as much as I can, so I can help him, and soon my daughter.

Here's a video of the hill climbing yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxG9Sdmf7W4&feature=youtu.be

What I loved about it was:

1. He did it.
2. He didn't let the other kids fears influence his own.
3. I had a chance to talk to him about not being the peer pressure guy. The other kids said they didn't want to do it and he should respect that.
4. The other parents handled it well.
5. They all ended up playing in the creek together for a hour or so once he came down from the hill

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262933 - 08/27/13 09:59 AM Re: bacpacboy's First Solo Twig Fire [Re: ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Congrats BPJ ...
I wish the very best for the boy and his sister

Quote:
Ironically my sister is the one who primarily looked after me as a young boy. And funny enough....she's the one who taught me a lot of dangerous and bad things.

We all understand the concept of (YMMV) and that every person is different !! However, I do belive that even the same person can change through the different stages of life.

In my younger years I never hesistated to drive the 4x4 for work and get in and out of sticky situations and have fun doing it. I even (foolishly) driven a sedan through dirt roads with almost no traffic with little - if any - emergency equipemnt. Now ?? No way. Not even with the two emergency bags in my car trunk.

As I approach 60, I see myself as an extra-cautious safety-conscious semi-paranoid kind of a guy. I have even stopped climbing ladders at home. If the job is simple like changing a light, I ask the kids, if it is more than that, I hire someone.

Back to the kids;
We should teach the kids the difference between playing safe , and not playing at all.

and ...

Quote:
2. He didn't let the other kids fears influence his own.
3. I had a chance to talk to him about not being the peer pressure guy. The other kids said they didn't want to do it and he should respect that.

.. this is a very very important balance we should learn in life
to be nice and social, but be independant and confident in planning our own lives

#262937 - 08/27/13 12:51 PM Re: bacpacboy's First Solo Twig Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is more difficult to instill an adventurous spirit in a child than it is to teach an adventurous child to use good judgment and do things safely. Enabling the adventurous in a safe manner is being a good parent and preparing them for life. I love what you do with your children Bacpacjac. Teaching them to enjoy the outdoors, not to fear it, at such an early age.

#262940 - 08/27/13 01:35 PM Re: bacpacboy's First Solo Twig Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"I pray to God he is a "sonic boom with dirt on it"
Your odds are good.

#262941 - 08/27/13 01:39 PM Re: bacpacboy's First Solo Twig Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"I see myself as an extra-cautious safety-conscious semi-paranoid kind of a guy."
Developing that attitude is a part of aging, but in a good way.It helps insure you'll be talking the same way as you approach 70, then 80.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 613 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.