#262580 - 08/18/13 06:04 PM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: JPickett]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Still works that way JPickett.

#262582 - 08/18/13 07:43 PM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I don't understand why on a day hike, on pavement - as you relate - there's a need for a folding saw and two fixed blade knives. Besides increasing the weight of your pack to make the walk a more strenuous workout, what's the point (note clever pun ...)?

#262592 - 08/19/13 03:22 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: tomfaranda]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
I don't understand why on a day hike, on pavement - as you relate - there's a need for a folding saw and two fixed blade knives. Besides increasing the weight of your pack to make the walk a more strenuous workout, what's the point (note clever pun ...)?

Well, it's her standard dayhike kit. No mention in her post of pavement or shopping for designer shoes.

It's easier to have a standard kit that you know and is ready to go. That's what I try to do: standard kit, grab that bag and head out the door. I tie the main compartment with a coloured twist tie that tells me I have replaced/refilled everything and am ready for blastoff.

Speaking of blastoff: If you survey the kit that new moms carry, you quickly realize that the Apollo astronauts were practically buck freaking naked in space. A new mom stroller could colonize Mars with stuff to spare.

#262593 - 08/19/13 04:13 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
OK, within the law, anyone is entitled to carry whatever they please. In a follow-up posting bpj said she was on pavement the whole way, which is where I got that info. My question is, why on a day hike would a Mom pushing a stroller need two fixed blades and a folding saw. If it's "standard kit" what's the point?

#262594 - 08/19/13 04:38 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: tomfaranda]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

My question is, why on a day hike would a Mom pushing a stroller need two fixed blades and a folding saw.

Maybe the baby needs a knife to help out mommy? smile

#262597 - 08/19/13 02:47 PM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: tomfaranda]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If it's "standard kit" what's the point?

We've seen a number of posts from bpj where she is practicing firemaking skills, testing her gear, and teaching her older child survival skills. All with the perambulator and new addition as part of the entourage.

#262654 - 08/21/13 02:19 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: tomfaranda]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Because we were going to be gone and on foot all day, I brought my day pack, which we had packed the night before with a picnic lunch...

As we left home, we decided that we'd stop for pizza at the little place by the skate park instead. We had no plan for dirt time, but as we got closer to our newly discovered forest spot, bacpacboy asked if we could have that picnic by the creek instead...

The kids wanted to use my saw to cut up some of the branches (to make a lean-to)...

I take my day pack with me for a number of reasons, and one of them is that you just never know what good things will come along if you're ready to say "Yes!" to adventures when they do!

I absolutely see your point tomfaranda. (LOL!) I guess I need to clarify that this is my standard day hike kit, and for the average mom, it probably seems ridiculous. Funny what the word "mom" conjurs up, isn't it? (BTW, none of the moms here are what I would call average.)

I think I said in the video that my Mora LMF is my standard carry, but I had the BG knife and folding saw in there because of things we've been working on lately...

Mora = shavings, feather sticks, carving, whittling, etc.
BGUSK = chopping and batonning
Bacho Laplander = sawing pieces of wood to length
*These are all skills I often work on while I'm hiking, or taking a break from hiking

A lot of the trails we've been on recently are paved, but we've also been practicing lots of skills in the local forests. When I'm out with the bacpacbaby these days, I'm not venturing anywhere remote or difficult to access, where navigation tools are crucial, but please remember that I do go out with just bacpacboy and I am also a Scout leader and use this kit when I'm out with our Pack and Troop. I don't always take all three tools, but I often do, depending on what the plan is.

Maybe I should call it my Day Hike and Bushcraft Pack....

Edited by bacpacjac (08/21/13 04:38 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262655 - 08/21/13 02:22 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: JPickett]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JPickett
Roughly 20 years ago my son was in BSA and got to carry a "totin" chip. It was a card certifying he had passed a knife/axe safety class. Idea was if an adult saw a kid missuse a knife or axe,the adult tore off a corner of the card. When the card had no corners left it was confiscated and the kid had to re-take the safety class. While he was at home one day he began playing with a bread knife and broke the blade. I asked him for his TC, confirmed the procedure for unsafe use of a knife, and tore a corner off the TC. He couldn't have been more shaken if I had slapped him. Never saw him misuse a blade again.

We don't do it that way in Canada, JPickett, though I wish we did. Cub Scouts don't get tokens. Many groups, including ours, teach them to use tools like knives and saws, but they have to wait until they are Scouts (11 yo) and earn their permits to be able to carry and use them unsupervised. They are permitted to have a folding knife in their survival kits if their Pack and parents say it's ok.

#262656 - 08/21/13 02:41 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If it's "standard kit" what's the point?

We've seen a number of posts from bpj where she is practicing firemaking skills, testing her gear, and teaching her older child survival skills. All with the perambulator and new addition as part of the entourage.

Exactly, Doug. Thank you. I've had some discussions lately with people who feel that they have to give up their outdoor pursuits because of their kids. I have the exact opposite approach. I'm trying to find ways to get dirt time with the kiddos. My son loves and thrives in the outdoors and is becoming quite the young bushman. My daughter loves being outside and hopefully will continue to feel that way as she gets older.

#262657 - 08/21/13 03:19 AM Re: This Mom's Day Hike Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
Pete Offline
Veteran

that piece of kit with the naked butt is really going to slow you down. I suggest that you suspend him from a tree branch using his t-shirt and some clothes pegs, and pick him up on the way out :-)

Pete2

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/20/24 04:58 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.