Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

From my perspective map,compass, & GPS is as essential as any other system in the pack.

I teach a Land Navigation class to Natural Resource students at my local community college. With the exception of the military vets, most don't have a clue about navigation. It is rare that my SAR team locates a lost person carrying the 10 essentials.

Exactly my point. I totally agree about the importance of staying found with strong navigation skills. I'm just not sure that encouraging one without the other (Map & compass / Basic navigation skills) is the best strategy. Might be encouraging trouble. Whenever I see those lists, I'd like to see either a "Stick to marked trails unless you've taken a basic map and compass course!" warning or accompanying tutorials on basic land nav, fire, shelter...

I guess it comes down to what AROTC says:

Quote:
I never thought of the 10 essentials as emergency gear exactly. That's why I think they include a map and compass to keep people from getting lost not to help them get found. I agree are mostly better off stopping for a brew up when they do get lost though. The pause to collect your thoughts is invaluable even if they do end up hiking out.

I'm not against it, mind you. Not encouraging navigation skills, could also encourage more SAR excursions. Heard one the other day about a SAR helicopter rescue in an urban park where there were no medical complications involved. How many times do we get up in arms around here about people calling for SAR when some basic (to us) common (to us) sense might have avoided it?

IDK. I guess that if you're smart enough to think about what you need to bring (and even that you need to bring stuff) I should give you more credit. smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA