Certainly in daily life the most used tool I have is my knife (In my case a leatherman wave and a Kershaw chive) followed closely by my light (asp saphire lite and 2AA maglite) In a survival situation I am not sure that either of these would be my most important tool.

In a short-term survival situation (less than 72 hours with dependance upon rescue with no escape / evasion characteristics) I would think that my various signalling devices might be my most important followed closely by my warmth and shelter building tools. Sooo.. How about, Cellphone, ham radio, mirror, whistle followed closely by mini-bic, match-safe with storm-proof matches, spark-lite, followed by paracord, twine, silnylon poncho, trashbag, spaceblanket.

In a short-term survival situation, I would think my first priority for day 1 would be shelter (I can go a day without water but I will be dead from hyothermia in a matter of hours) Then quickly there-after I would want water. I could probably survive a couuple of days without water in a temperate climate (not desert tho) So, in any situation that might last longer than a couple of days the need for water comes to the surface quickly. I would have my ziplock, balloon, tinfoil cup, laytex hose for seeps and Potable Aqua tablets in use quickly.

All of the above mentioned activities would be carried out prior to my needing a knife, gun, or any of the other more romantic supplies.

Sure the knife may be considered part of firemaking supplies but there has never been a time when I couuldn't find enough tinder, kindling and small fuel to get a merry blaze going without a knife in a temperate forest. If there are any ever-greens or birches around then you don't need a knife to gather plenty of kindling and fuel. (yes, even in the rain) The sparklite doesn't need a striker to work and neither does the mini-bic so no need of a knife there.

Just a non-romantic, contrarian view for your consideration.