Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262196 - 07/30/13 02:24 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"Why they didn't stick with the 50/50 NYCO, I have no idea"
You're talking about the government here. They never stick with a good idea.

#262217 - 07/31/13 04:57 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: JPickett]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: JPickett
"Why they didn't stick with the 50/50 NYCO, I have no idea"
You're talking about the government here. They never stick with a good idea.

Comments not inserted. wink

But, yes, I realize that.

#262234 - 08/01/13 07:39 AM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

US Cavalry have the genuine article. Though mail order might be too late for you. A raincoat beats a poncho anyway and unless you have to; camouflage is the worst thing you can wear. You want to be visible if things go wrong.
qjs

#262251 - 08/01/13 06:25 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
[quote=thseng]The packing list says "Rain coat or poncho (green/camo)"

I realize that this is heresy, but for anything except combined shelter building/rainwear functionality, ponchos actually kind of suck. A set of waterproof pants and jacket are lighter, more effective as clothing, and considerably more useable in real life than is a poncho. Ponchos work great to cover person and pack while in a standing posture on a windless day, and work poorly in most other scenarios.

Forgive me preppers, for I have sinned....

#262252 - 08/01/13 06:47 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: nursemike]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Your punishment will be severe!!

#262253 - 08/01/13 08:01 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: nursemike
I realize that this is heresy, but for anything except combined shelter building/rainwear functionality, ponchos actually kind of suck. .....Forgive me preppers, for I have sinned....

Originally Posted By: Montanero

Alas....I too am a sinner! In any kind of serious weather ponchos seriously suck. A rain jacket is a much better choice.

No doubt nursemike and I will be stripped of all rank and privledges, and drummed out of ETS.

#262264 - 08/02/13 11:58 AM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: AKSAR]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I realize that this is heresy, but for anything except combined shelter building/rainwear functionality, ponchos actually kind of suck. .....Forgive me preppers, for I have sinned....

Alas....I too am a sinner! In any kind of serious weather ponchos seriously suck. A rain jacket is a much better choice.

No doubt nursemike and I will be stripped of all rank and privledges, and drummed out of ETS.

...and abandoned, naked and afraid, on a desert island, equipped only with ponchos...

#262265 - 08/02/13 01:40 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Ponchos as a shelter rock. You just have to know what to do. For instance, never sleep parallel to the ponchos, sleep perpendicular, and use sticks/poles in the hoods to increase the inner space. Remember to use a drip stick/knot on the cords attaching ponchos to the trees.

I never slept in the communal tents we set up. I either used two ponchos to make my own hootch, or carried a camo civilian small dome tent, further cammied with the poncho.

On a side note, never used the poncho when it rained. Wore the issue rain suit, under my bdus. Less noisy, and hey, you were gonna get wet anyhow.

#262266 - 08/02/13 04:52 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: nursemike]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

...and abandoned, naked and afraid, on a desert island, equipped only with ponchos...

Likely with a TV crew ...

#262267 - 08/02/13 05:02 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: JBMat]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Been away on business for a week - thank for all the replies, especially the generous offer of a loan from MDinana.

Inspected the one from ebay last night - it is genuine "new old stock" as stated - the seam sealer is dried up and flaking off, so it needs to be re-sealed. The price was right, so I'm happy.

Re poncho vs rainsuit:
Quote:
Ponchos work great to cover person and pack while in a standing posture on a windless day, and work poorly in most other scenarios.

As a matter of fact, that's exaclty what he'll be doing, standing around in formation practicing hurry-up-and-wait. Jackets are fine but they don't do anything for your lower body and pants are hassle to quickly don and doff when you're on the move.

Camo is the worst choice for survival, but he's going to be on an Airforce base, not it the woods. Ironically, CAP regs require a certified ANSI class II safety vest for "ground team activities" which begs the question: Wear the vest under your field gear and defeat the purpose of the vest or over your field gear and make access a pain? Third option is to find the holy grail: a gear vest the actually meets the ANSI standard.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 411 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.