Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#262272 - 08/02/13 08:47 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I just wanted to chime in on the rainwear discussion..

I have a set of Carharrt Huron rainwear - The Jacket and the Pants. Both are incredibly lightweight, pretty breathable and seem very durable. The nice thing is that you can stuff these into a built in pocket on the pants or jacket and that makes them EDC bag friendly from a space perspective. The jacket is good for cool, breezy days when you want to keep the wind off your arms as well.

I own a Waterproof Hooded Ripstop Rain Poncho that slides into a carry bag in the event I get stuck out in the rain, and I am going to be there for a while... I don't know who makes it, but it came from Ireland. The other interesting thing about this poncho is that you can convert it into a tent as well with it's built in strings and loops. As stated above, it covers my backpack very well, and probably keep me and my gear dryer than what the Jacket and Pants set would.

I'm not affilated with Carharrt in any way, but I really like some of their clothing... (even if it is overpriced IMHO)

Rod

Edited by RNewcomb (08/02/13 08:51 PM)

#262292 - 08/03/13 02:26 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
military ponchos are no better quality than what can be gotten elsewhere. people obsess over milsurp gear acting like it is something special. it really isn't and is often inferior (sometimes by a lot) to what is otherwise available.

Bob

#262329 - 08/05/13 09:24 PM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: ILBob]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: ILBob
military ponchos are no better quality than what can be gotten elsewhere. people obsess over milsurp gear acting like it is something special. it really isn't and is often inferior (sometimes by a lot) to what is otherwise available.

While I agree in general, in this case the advantage was that mil-spec was part of the "uniform". Plus the added advantage of being a known level of quality and design, which I happen to like on this item, as well as being compatible with other mil ponchos should we ever want to snap two together for a shelter.

More often, mil-spec "outdoor" gear is at least a generation or two behind state of the art - the procurement cycle and need for standardization make that inevitable.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#262342 - 08/06/13 08:45 AM Re: GI Poncho Source? [Re: thseng]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The best thing about the Mil-spec poncho is that there are some awesome liners made to fit it. Get a different poncho and they may not work right with it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 496 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.