I don't rely on my smart phone for long term assistance during a disaster. I do have Help Bridge installed on my smartphone, and that's available on Windows Phone, iOS and Android. Its a simple app to signal your status - get help - and also if you are remote from a disaster, has ways to give help immediately.

The status signal is an email or SMS text to sets of contacts, "I'm OK" or "I Need Help". There's also a free text option. It has the option to send your coordinates if you need help (or I'm pretty sure if you say you're OK). So if I'm under rubble when it happens, they know where I am and can direct assistance to me, or if I move to a shelter they can also correlate that. I have several lists of contacts pre-made, those for work, my extended family, and for the Red Cross.

In terms of giving help there's an option to send money via PayPal to Red Cross and other responding organizations, something that tracks time and needs for volunteering your time or actual goods. Donating money is almost always preferable despite the good intentioned donations of folks filling pickups with food water and clothing in the initial rush after a disaster.

Its a pretty good tool, and free.

Introduction here:

http://video.app.msn.com/watch/video/hel...r-2-19/qmvyvvhn