Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#260643 - 05/17/13 02:13 PM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Quietly_Learning]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Although I typically EDC a Leatherman Wave, I find that the PS4, which is on my EDC keyring, has a blade that is quite adequate for nearly all urban/office situations. It looks exceedingly innocuous, and the small pliers are great for pulling staples. I can soon even carry it when flying (maybe).

#260645 - 05/17/13 02:32 PM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I prefer the pliers on the Squirt ES4 since they are more of a needlenose and because I work around electronics on occasion; the wire strippers are very capable. For those times when one must associate with TSA ... I do not trust them to not change the rules yet again As for regular locking folders, the Delica is a great knife in that size, but a tad too pointy for me, so as previously mentioned, I opted for the Benchmade mini-Griptilian and specifically DR's version. The Delica is definitely thinner overall, but the mini-Grip is stronger overall. BTW those cheap feeling Noryl GTX handles are very capable and not at all delicate.

#260647 - 05/17/13 03:14 PM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Bingley]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Especially for an urban environment, I've always favoured a multi-tool as opposed to a single bladed knife.

Recently, I've switched over to a more minimalist tool that fits great in the pocket; a Victorinox Alox Cadet. It is slimmer than my iPhone and has a good, basic tool set. I paid $26 for mine. I believe the blade has a cutting edge of just over 2".

#260663 - 05/18/13 02:25 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Depends on what you're going to use it for, but I love my LM Wave an my SAKs, especially for EDC. I keep my Wave in my purse right now, and my SAK on my key chain. Except when I'm camping or steak is on the menu, then I like my CRKT Mt. Rainier the best. We bought them for each other and our wedding party when we got married 11 years ago, and have both been using them ever since.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260667 - 05/18/13 05:52 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm partial to Spyderco, too. If the entire knife is to be 3" or so overall then a Delica or Native would be a great option.

#260686 - 05/19/13 10:02 PM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Bingley]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I'm partial to Kershaw. I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto folder and love the thing.

#260694 - 05/20/13 04:29 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: UTAlumnus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
+1 I EDC the -01T. The blade is right at three inches if you measure from the start of the cutting edge. Once you get used to the auto-LAWKS safety, It is easily opened and closed one handed. It locks and stays locked until you release it.

I just ordered the CRKT M16-01T. This knife looks like it's custom tailored for me.

#260695 - 05/20/13 04:42 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: ireckon]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
For me, it was the end of the search. It was the last knife I bought that wasn't made for a specific function like the Crimson Trace models from CRKT.

#260696 - 05/20/13 11:35 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: ireckon]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
+1 I EDC the -01T. The blade is right at three inches if you measure from the start of the cutting edge. Once you get used to the auto-LAWKS safety, It is easily opened and closed one handed. It locks and stays locked until you release it.

I just ordered the CRKT M16-01T. This knife looks like it's custom tailored for me.

CRKT m16's are nice knives and they're half what you're budgeting so it is something to think about. I have a M16-12ZER that I trash around a lot. I picked it up at a garage sale as a sharpening project because the previous owner should have gotten arrested for cruelty to knives. It took an hour to get it back into shape. It has become my go to knife for things like cardboard boxes, cutting plastic, and all other things I wouldn't want to damage another knife on.
I really like both the flipper opener and auto lawks safety. The lawks gives added piece of mind that the lock won't fail (Doug's lock is stronger). After a little practice it is easy to close one handed. I reprofiled the blade so I can't speak about the factory grind but it sharpens well. It is thicker than my other two recommendations. I would not recommend the tano unless you like that shape.
If I was ranking one of the single blades that I mentioned I would say 1 Doug's, 2 delica, 3 a m16.

After reading a number of posts you might want to reconsider and get a multi tool. If this purchase is just for the trip then a multi tool will serve you longer, be more functional and is more non-knife onlookers friendly. I know my leatherman charge tti sees a lot more use than any of my single blades knives.

Please let us know what you finally decide upon.

#260707 - 05/21/13 01:01 AM Re: Recommend a folder around 3" [Re: Bingley]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Victorinox has just introduced a new lock blade.Single blade with easy open thumb hole.Can't post a link from where I am at.Saw it in the recent copy of BLADE magazine,I think on page two......

BOATMAN
John

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 385 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.