Our son said the other day that he'd like a hammock. Hubby was in Canadian Tire today and found glow in the dark poly cord. "Hmmmmmm" he thought.

Materials We Used:
-baby's swing (preferably without the baby in it)
-poly cord
-nylon string
-cutting implement of your choice (we picked scissors)

Step One:
String a ridge line with poly cord and cut off excess when secured. It needs to be as long as you want your net to be wide.

Step Two:
Measure out lengths of nylon string. Each piece will need to be twice as long as you want you net to be. Cut off the excess and repeat, depending on how wide you want your net to be. The spacing of all the nets is determined by how big you want the holes in your net to be.

Step Three: Start tying knots.

1. Make a bite in the middle of each strand, and loop it over the ridge line.Pull the rest of the rope through the loop. Pull tight. You've just made a cow hitch knot! (Pull the excess through three times instead of once, and you've got a prusik knot!)

2. Now tie each individual strand to the one beside it, in sequencial overhand bow knots that alternate from left to right. Spacing is dependant on how big you want the holes in your net. Hubby pushed all the strands together during every row to keep things lined up.

We just kind of did it, so pictures will probably explain it better than me. Oh, and one tip - nine year boys get bored of practicing knots pretty quickly. Be patient. wink

It's still a work in progress and is probably going to end up being big enough to be a hammock for my son's teddy bear. :-)

I'm no knot expert so please correct where needs be. :-)

Edited by bacpacjac (05/14/13 01:01 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA